MID- COURSE CORRECTION?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I Planned to have two Symfony toric lens placed in on November 30th & December 14th,  beginning with non-dominate left eye.  Prescription is +3.75 in both eyes and 1.87(L) and 1.57(R) stigmatism. Cataracts measured 3 in (L) and 2.5 in (R)   

?Although surgery went well, and intermediate vision is very good, I'm concerned my distance vision won't equal even what I am seeing in my right eye with progressive glasses. That's important to me as when I drive I have trouble reading signs, particularly green and white expressway exit signs.  I tested 20-40 in the new lens (ZXT300) the morning after surgery. I'm seeing the glare, starbursts, and halo's but not too bothersome at this point, and no concentric circles yet.  

?What I'm wondering is, if this concern on distance vision continues for a couple weeks, should I consider a toric monovision lens set at distance in my dominate eye?  Would I be losing any symmetry in not having two toric symfony's? Would having only one Symfony be less glare, starbursts, and halo's than two Symfony's? 

?Have appreciated previous advice I received on this site, God bless you all. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Daniel - hopefully your distance vision improves with Symfony but if not sounds like your plan of having a monofocal lens set for distance is a good one and you’ll experience less nighttime halos.   

I have 2 regular Symfony lenses .  My first surgery I had 20/20 vision within 24 hours my 2nd eye took longer to settle there.  Just had my  checkup with optometrist and now do have plano in both eyes although right eye still sees further and could read 20/15 line.  Near vision has been good since the surgeries as well and I have yet to see need to get glasses although it likely would benefit me if I spent hours reading novels.

The night got time vision wasn’t great in the beginning with strong glare and starbursts and as that diminished at about 6 or 7th week I now see the concentric circles which are much lighter.  Although odd they haven’t impacted my daughter bing at night like the strong glare and starbursts.  

I wish you well with your decision .

• Posted

It's been 4 months since my initial post asking help in deciding on a 2nd Symfony.  Notwithstanding a great deal of angst I went with a 2nd Symfony, and am very pleased with the results.  About a week post op both eyes were 20-20 uncorrected and J1 and J2 for near vision.  Right eye is +.50 OD and left is -.25 OD.  Although I no longer use glasses throughout the day, including viewing my computer, I do use readers for my extensive morning reading as it's simply not comfortable without them. I also have progressive glasses that I use in business meetings when I want to partially conceal the "bags" under my eyes.  What I can't overstate enough is how great it is to have peripheral vision unobstructed by the frame in glasses as well as distance vision.    

?I have all the nighttime artifacts I was cautioned about, glare, starbursts and concentric circles.  Headlight glare/ starbursts from cars and golf cart's (I live in a trailer park) still bother me. I bought yellow tinted glasses, but they helped only a little, and I find myself preferring to squint at intersections where there is a lot of traffic rather than wear the glasses. Concentric circles I somehow tune out, not sure why because they are very visible and large, but somehow they are just part of the landscape.  My wife has vertigo, so I would not recommend Symfony lens' for her. However for me they worked out great, and I would choose them again as my night time driving is minimal. 

?I'm indebted to many on this site for helping me over the months in evaluating options, I especially want to recognize at201, Sue.An, and Night Hawk.  May God bless you all. 

• Posted

Daniel - so pleased you are happy with the outcome.   Yes I too was very happy not to wear glasses - somehow the vision I have now is much better.  Reminds me of a time when I could wear contact lenses.

You’ll find the glare diminishes in a few months - it did for me.  Night driving is not the challenge it once was in those early weeks after surgery.  I really have very minimal glare and the concentric circles have become part of the landscape as you put it.

When  it’s your wife’s turn hopefully there’ll be other options.  Been reading about a new EDOF lens soon to be out in Europe- at LARA by Zeiss.  Supposedly going to have a slightly larger range of focus and less halos (although won’t believe that till I see some actual patients posting their reviews).

I suffer migraines and vertigo too but haven’t seen any impact on those with Symfony.  In fact it tipped the scales in Symfony favour as I thought any amount of monovision would make those worse.

Again very happy for your results!!!  

• Posted

So happy to know that you are overall very satisfied with the vision you have been able to achieve with the two Symfony lenses.

The fact that you knew ahead of time what to expect from the lenses (pros and cons) and made an informed choice has probably made the adjustment a lot easier. That is always a good approach.

Hopefully, by the time your wife has to have cataract surgery, there will be even better lens choices available

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.