Mid foot fusion op March 2018..........

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.

I found this forum while searching for information on this op. It has been so useful. Many things I had not thought about how you all have coped after this op. I am pretty nervous about it. 

I am 59 years young and have Osteoarthritis in my left foot (and other joints) my quality off life has gone downhill over the last 10 years......cannot walk very far at all, about 20 mins max, without excruciating pain, so pretty much stay at home as much as I can. When the consultant told me about this op, after trying multiple other things to help...which didn’t. I thought let’s do it. If it can give 50% less pain I’ll be happy, just to get some normality back.

i have knee problems so not sure if I can use the I-walk device. But maybe the knee walker may help.

any tips on keeping cast / boot cool...I am British, but live in Singapore at average of 30c daily ?? So I know it will be uncomfortable.

thanks again for all your advise

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Cheryl - So sorry you are facing foot surgery and hope it will improve your pain and quality of life.  I strongly suggest an ice machine for post-op recovery.  It will greatly help with swelling, which will make you much more comfortable.  I kept my leg elevated with a foam elevator and kept the ice machine running almost continually.  I think they both played a huge part in my relatively speedy recovery.   My doctor told me that patients who use them do have less swelling and hence a better recovery.  Best of luck!
    • Posted

Hi Phoebe

Thank you so much for you’re reply and concerns. I had not thought of an ice machine, but not quite sure what type you mean. Maybe you have a photo or link to a website that stocks them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.