Mid right back pain after gallbladder removal

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, I recently had my gallbladder removed on Jan 11th and about a week later right when I thought I was healing, the right side of my bad by the shoulder blade began to hurt like crazy sad I am in constant pain. I tend to ice it at times and rotate ans heat it. Nothing seems to help. My Dr said it will heal In time but I don't believe that due to me reading some stories online from other people who are experiencing the same pain even year later. Please help....I would like to hear stories or what has helped your pain go away. Thank you

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It is very early days , and yes it will get easier... I went through the same anx wondering why i could still feel the pain. But it eventually got less and less. 

So be patient with yourself.

I think because it is a quick op these days and in and out of hosp so quick we forget that our bodies have been through a trauma.

The fact that everything is pushed and shoved around is bound to cause pain and discomfort .

I had mine removed 7/12/16 which is about 8 weeks and it is getting better by the week .. so dont worry everyone is different xx

• Posted

Hi Roxanne,

I'm very sorry that you're going through this. I'm going through a similar experience. I started a thread about it that I'll post a link to below.

I'm also using a heating pad and ice pack for the pain. I hope you feel better soon. Unfortunately, my surgeon didn't give me much hope.

Well wishes to you!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/still-having-same-pain-after-gallbladder-removal-560376?page=0#2525493

• Posted

Hi Keefe,

I know that this post is about a year ago. I want to ask how you are doing now and what have you been through weeks, months after operation? I just had my gall bladder remove yeaterday and I am experiencing such unbearable back pain. I am literally still on the hospital bed as of this writing. I am a bit worried after I have read the thread about this. 

The pain in my back is so unbearable and the pain connects to my neck and to the wound of my surgery at the upper abdomen and I can hardly breathe for about 3-4 seconds during attack. Last night and this morning, I was literally crying because of the intense pain. They gave me the last dose of my morphin earlier but they are asking me to slowly try to move my back and sit on my side but I cannot do it because of the pain. 

Have you experienced this also on your first days of the surgery? And what did you do to relieve the pain?

My surgeon is just saying, they’ll give me pain reliever but even the pain reliever can’t stop the pain.

Hoping for your prompt response.

Thank you. 

• Posted

Hello Roxanne,

​Please note the exact pain location I was having had surgery 8-2-16 by Oct the pain came back and day by day it has gone away.

​Your doctor said the exact same thing my doctor said and they are right!

​It will go away just try to take few pain meds try to maintain it will go away.

Best of health

​Deborah

• Posted

As some people have said - it's still pretty early. It could be residual gas leftover form the surgery. You probably won't know for a few months if it's going to stay or not.

• Posted

Roxanne,

?I had a very bad pain on my right shoulder blade before my surgery.  It is a rare symptom, as the doctor told me.  After I returned from my first surgery where they cleared the bile duct, the pain lessoned.  It was completely gone after my second surgery where they removed the gallbladder.  I'm thinking the nerves are all connected, so that is why you're having the pain.  You didn't mention if you had any infection, which could affect that area.  If it continues, then go back to your doctor.  Otherwise, give the healing process some time.  You should be feeling  completely better by week five. 

• Posted

I never had pasin in my shoulder either when I had gallstones or after gallbladder was removed but apparently it is very common so I was just lucky.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi, I recently had my gallbladder removed  on Aug 18th and now I'm having pain in my right shoulder. All I do is take a pain pill and try to relax. Nothing like the pain I had before the surgery. 

• Posted

Hi Toni, they say that peppermint tea helps as you may have some of the gas trapped inside which you need to disperse or make sure that you walk around as this will do it too. If it continues then you should go and see your doctor. Don't forget its the nerves that go upto your shoulder that causes the problems and you're still healing inside which will take alot longer than the incisions on the outside. Don't do anything that'll cause stretching of your muscles as this will cause pain. I know this from experience and it hurts!

I hope besides this that you're on the mend and you'll soon start to feel better again.

Take care x

• Posted

Was having daily pain starting in 1997 after having surgery in 1976. Found help right here on this site last fall. Best thing that happened to relieve my pain was suggestion to take an acid reducer daily. Has cut my daily attacks to almost never having them. Unless I eat something spicy I'm good. The other suggestion that I learned here was when an attack starts, get a tennis or any hard ball, rotate it around gently on the pain area front and yes on your back in the same area as the front. Most time it instantly stops the pain.

• Posted

Hi Roxanne,

I’m going through this exact same pain right now two weeks post-gallbladder removal. In addition to the debilitating upper back pain though, I also started with a cramp-like pain in my right abdomen that turned into real pain and has since faded so now it’s just a minor annoyance. At first though, I couldn’t lay on my right side and had to take shallow breaths. So far the back pain has started low, progressed into being completely unbearable and then eventually fades to about 10% of the peak pain and then it starts again. My surgeon has me monitoring for fever/nausea but thinks it might be some kind of really bad muscle spasm. I’m just wondering if yours ever just faded away or did it eventually require surgical intervention? Thanks!

• Posted

I had my gallbladder and appendix removed Wednesday and Wednesday night my back pain kept me up in the hospital most of the night since getting home I can’t sleep comfortably anywhere. How long until you got over this back pain? Thanks 
    • Posted

Hi. Yes my pain did go away completely after hurting for about 2 months straight. The pain was a lot to deal with but one day I woke up and didn’t feel it anymore. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.