Middle back pain, worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

hey guys. I am a 30 year old male. in september I had neck and upper back pain and had an mri done as I was worried it might be serious and they came back all clear. Fast forward to a few days ago I started getting a sore middle back and lower back, maybe middle though. I got a massage and it hasn't helped much. I have also been going through bowel issues (even getting a ct scan thursday), and I've been experiencing rectal pressure, perhaps Proctitis. My brain wants to go to the worst case scenario and jump to spinal tumor from metastasis. The fact that I dont smoke cigarettes and the pain is relatively new should put my mind at ease right? I'm going back to the doctor to check this out, but middle back pain is common right? I read that middle back pain is more common to be cancerous than lower back pain and it stresses me. Back pain is common and I am probably worrying for no reason. Appreciate any comments!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex, you could of just strained something in your mid back or neck or bulged a disc. its hard to pinpoint back pain sometimes as your spine and neck are involved in all your daily movements so your lower back could be getting sore as you have strained your mid back so your lower back compensates. Your bowel problems also could be completely unrelated. Its so easy to let your mind run riot and think the worst, especially since Dr Google is readily available. The first mri i had showed nothing much apart from mild degeneration and that certainly didnt reflect the pain i was in with my lower back. Often an mri will show nothing but that doesnt mean there is no injury. An Osteopath also told me which ive never forgotten 'your back's bark can be far worse than its bite'. When i first hurt my back i was in agony and could hardly move and was convinced it was serious but actually 6 weeks later it was fine. I dont know if any of that helps, its definitely best to get checked out but the chances are you have just strained something so try not to worry.

• Posted

Hey, Alex - Middle back pain is very common. As you've probably read, any back pain is common (over 80% of people will at some point in there lives have to deal with back issues). Cancer of the spine is extremely rare and it's possible you've just strained your muscles from worry or you restless sleep positions. Note, I'm not a medical professional but I wonder what kind of stress you've been under lately? Repressed feelings such as anxiety or anger (we all try to hide our anger issues, right?) can lead to tense stomach and muscle tension. I'm not trying to tell you that the pain you're experiencing is in your head - it's not! But anxiety can wreak havoc on our physical bodies in unbelievable ways. Of course it's imperative that we seek medical care so until your upcoming appointment be extra kind to yourself. Get good sleep, eat healthy foods, drink plenty of water, meditate, listen to relaxation apps (there are free ones available), go for slow walks weather permitting, etc. Keep us posted too, ok? Your shared journey helps others coming to this forum in similar situations.

• Posted

I ended up having a herniated disc in my mid back,request an MRI of you thoracic spine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.