Middle finger of left hand is locking itself and other fingers getting stiff , toes also feel numb

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had this condition for about 1 year blood tests do not show any problem so why is this happening?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Betty, the stiffness in your fingers could be due to a number of causes, including osteoarthritis.  I also experienced "locking" (triggering) of a thumb a couple of years ago.   The walk-in centre at my local hospital suggested splinting my thumb.....however they didn't have the necessary splints!  One rheumatologist I spoke to at a meeting I attended said that if he'd had his needles with him he would have injected the base of my thumb to give relief.  However, I then showed my local pharmacist how my thumb was triggering to the bent position and how I was having to 'unlock' it manually.  He laughed and said to ignore the previous advice as both he and his brother had experienced the same problem and it eventually rights itself.  It did, but it took a few months.  A close friend has recently had a similar experience, went to his GP and was awaiting referral for treatment.  I told him it would get better of its own accord and, sure enough, by the time his appointment came through, it had recovred.

I also suffer with numb toes which, in my case, is believed to be caused by my long term spinal problem possibly resulting in some nerve pressure.

I hope this is helpful, but do check it out with your GP for further investigation and advice.  

• Posted

Hi Mrs O thank you so much for your kind and very informative reply, I was panicking a bit thinking I was going to have a stroke or something serious but after reading some testimonials and your own just now I feel that possibly it might just be age related for some people as a lot of us are experiencing similar problems. I will leave things as they are for the moment rather than rush to doctors again and hopefully it will all sort itself out.  As a last comment I wonder if what we eat could be another cause for this problem but will hope for the best. Thank you again.
    • Posted

Betty, foods can certainly have a bearing.  For instance, there are many known anti-inflammatory foods such as oily fish, garlic, avocado and the herb turmeric.  Try upping your intake of oily fish in particular, such as sardines, mackerel, salmon and trout.  I have 2-3 portions a week.
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O like yourself I have a similar diet, however have a liking for sweets and chocolate so going to try and eliminate some of the junk food I eat and see if I can get a reaction within a day or two to see if this can be allergy related problem, I also was told that drinking a lot of water helps  Who knows what is in our food ie  the colours, and preserves they canot be doing us much good. Thank you for your post as it helps others as everyone who has this condition is looking for a cure.

• Posted

In my case what you describe was the starting point for Osteoarthritis. I saw my GP who sent me to a hand consultant who confirmed the problem with a simple hand x-ray. Unfortunately there is not a lot they can do and several years later the finger  was not moving at all but I have just had a finger joint replacement and its moving much more than before. You don't get full movement but the pain is gone.
    • Posted

Thank you wknight, I will take on board your information.  there are so much pain issues related to all sorts of conditions, In due course if there is no change or relief I will go back to doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.