Middle-Upper Abdominal/Upper Left Pain and Nausea

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 18 year old daughter has been having constant upper abdominal pain and upper left pain since the end of February. She also is nauseas and feeling like throwing up. This pain is a constant achy pain but increases. When her pain level gets to a 7 or above we usually end up in the hospital. We have gone to the ER 16 times since the middle of March. Her GI surgeon and her GI doctor have done every test on her and cannot find anything. Our family doctor thinks there is an adhesion and has discussed it with our surgeon but he doesn't think so since all other tests have shown nothing. He thinks checking for adhesions could cause more issues. I will back up and give a little history on my daughter. She has ulcerative colitis. She had a surgery where they removed her colon and rectum and created a j-pouch in August, a bag for 10 weeks and then the take down surgery in November. She was doing great for 3 months until the end of February, then she started having the pain problems and Nausea. She is seeing a pain management doctor but the medicines do not help. Now her pain doctor is going to do a celiac pain block to see if it helps. I just feel like something has been missed! They have done all tests possible. Upper and lower GI, blood work, ct scan, MRI, mrinterography , colonoscopy. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions for my daughter??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried a different hospital or doctors ? You need a fresh view from a different source .
    • Posted

I have a lot of faith in her surgeon, he has done a great job so far but I have wondered if she needs to see a different GI doctor. She is at the age to transition over to an adult GI and maybe that's we need to do. She is also currently having alot of issues with cysts on her ovaries so the GI surgeon has talked with my daughter's Gynecologist about looking into endometriosis possibly causing the upper pain but she didn't think that was the issue either. Not sure where to turn?? Last night we had another trip to the ER at 1:30 in the morning! Her pain level was at a 9!

• Posted

Abdominal surgery of any kind comes with risks. She maybe having these problems because something is inflammed in her system. The problems you mentioned could contribute to the pain she is experiencing. I am no expert, not even a very knowledgeable person but in pursuit of finding the cause of my pain I read whatever I can and learnt that often with stomach things are related and upper stomach some how is the weak spot and any problem with digestive tract can pressurise the upper part of stomach.

Another possibility is the medication she must have been given before like antibiotics and pain killers. These all cause stomach pain and the cause do not appear on any diagnostic tests. If she has difficulty digesting food meaning that she can feel the food not digested after hours of eating it then it could be Gastroperasis.

• Posted

Do ask your Doc about the possibility of Sphincter Of Oddi Dysfunction. If her pain is very severe then this could be the reason otherwise gastroparesis is also painful from what I heard.
  • Posted

If shr has adhesions, scans such as ultrasounds will not show it.  Only laparoscopic surgery would detect them  My uncle’s friend had adhesions from the same type of ulcerative colitis surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.