Midfoot fusion and Morton’s neuroma

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 3 weeks post op today. I had several midfoot joints fused--I have plate on the top and inside of my foot as well as having a mortons neuroma removed between my 3rd and 4th toe. Has anyone had a burning sensation nowhere close to your incisions? I'm also unable to move my toes. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm surprised at the number of people who don't use knee scooters and sleep with your boot off. It's so easy to get your foot wrapped up in sheets or blankets. This is my 4th foot surgery since last June so I'm not new to this whole scene!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi

as u had midfoot fusion already but I planned next month

can u give information about complications during and after surgery.

• Posted

you need to talk to your dr about complications. I can only tell you of my experience. In the last 14 years Ive had 7 foot/ankle surgeries and 5 shoulder surgeries and have never had any problems with anesthesia but everyone is different and not all drs and anesthesiologist do the same treatment prior to surgery. Ive always been given a nerve block prior to surgery and that lasts about 24 hours tops. one complication is dont fall! I fell 4 days after surgery. It didnt do any damage to the plates but i ended up spraining my foot in the process. Yes you can sprain your foot in a post surgical cast! take your meds around the clock for the first 4 days after even if you feel like you dont need it. its hard to get pain back under control. Stay on top of it! Good luck and ask any questions you want. oh, rent a knee scooter. You cant do this on crutches. Im no weightbearing for 10 weeks

• Posted

Thank you for your valuable details.

yes everyone are differently responded against any surgery.

as this is my first surgery in life, so I m very afraid about this surgery.

so can u give some answers to reduce my anxiety.

I already ask these questions to Dr but they give answers as it is in Google.

Are pain get reduce after 4 - 5 days in your case. are any sedative used?

Are really after 3 month of Non weight bearing, you able to walk? Is walking improvise day by day?

Did u face any gait abnormality after complete recovery? and in how much time you completely recovered?

Are u attained the activities level like before injury?

after surgery how much time,u feel any residual pain? are pain completely removed?

do u have any sign ( radiographical or symptomatic), from first surgery, about adjoining joints arthritis?

Thanking you for your valuable response again

• Posted

First, I'm only 4 weeks from surgery. My ortho is very upfront and when I asked him about 3 months of non weight bearing he looked at me and said "You've been on the internet havent you?" its 10 weeks no weight bearing. After those 10 weeks you start walking with the boot youll receive at your 10-14 day post op appointment. you will probably start using crutches and then maybe a cane. I dont know at what point you go into a normal shoe. I've read that midfoot fusion should not affect your gait as your midfoot is more structure and stability. You're midfoot doesnt move much at all. My gait was so off that I was putting my weight on the side of my foot which caused ankle pain and pain in my hip on the opposite leg. My quality of life was non existent other than doing stuff around the house but was always in pain. Just going to the grocery store was miserable and I was walking 4 miles every day. I had a nerve block before I went into surgery. I wish I could be the one to tell you that your pain will eventually subside in 4-5 days. Thats typically how it works but i also had a Mortons's neuroma removed and that involved a third incision and the nerve cut to remove it. That has caused much more pain than any of my other surgeries. as far as my 2 incisions for the plates to be put in they are not painful at all. i am hoping to regain my life back. You asked about sedatives. Do you mean prior to surgery? My dr likes to give his patients a cocktail of drugs so that by the time you get back to the OR you are talking but dont remember what you said. Then of course anesthesia and hopefully they will give you something before you wake up for nausea as anesthesia can cause that and sometimes vomitting. These are some questions you need to ask prior to your surgery. Let your dr know this is your first and ask for something to help you relax. I have read that it can take 6-12 months for complete fusion and healing. personally I havent been able to verify that! And I dont know if your dr told you this but plates and screws used to fuse bones are usually left in--not like if you would have been treated the first time around. they take those out. The only way they are removed is if they become painful. Our--me and my dr--goal is to get me back to the activity level I was originally. I was doing crossfit 5 days a week as well as walking 4 miles every day. I miss exercising. You will need help after your surgery. And if you dont live in a one story then I can give lots of tips of living on thr first floor with no bedroom. Let me know if you have anymore questions or if there is something I didnt answer.

• Posted

Make sure you rent a knee scooter!!! the best one out there--at least in my opinion--is the swivelmate. Just google swivelmate knee walker rent. It's $25 a week which is the cost of others. what is so great about this one is its turning radius. Also get the knee pad from the same place specifically for the swivelmate. Its well worth the $20 for all the added comfort it brings. Make sure you have this before your surgery so it is together and ready to use because you need the knee part fitted as well as the height of the handle bar. I fitted mt knee height with a thick soled slipper I use when I dont have on any other type of shoe because i found they are all pretty much the same sole height. There are many different accessories you can get. I got a cup holder as well as a phone holder. Check amazon for those because there are so many different styles and they are cheaper than getting them directly from the knee rental place. Another suggestion is to buy soft fuzzy socks to wear on that foot. They are warm, put no pressure on your foot and the softness feels nice. Plus you need to wear some sort of sock under your boot and these are great. The boots are made from neoprene and makes your foot and leg sweat. This is going to sound crazy but go to the womens sock section and you'll find socks like these. Start at Target and make sure you get the knee high ones not ankle height. Another tip--get a small cooler like the Igloo 9 qt and have someone fill it with water bottles or whatever you drink and ice to keep it cold it keep you from having to get up and down and bothering someone to get it for you. Let them fill it in the morning for you. I drink bottled water and protein drinks mostly and eat a lot of peanut butter so i always had a jar of pb and a knife close by and bananas. 2 waffles with pb and a protein drink is my typical breakfast. becareful what you eat because being sedentary and eating sweets, carbs, junk food etc will definitely cause weight gain and that causes even more frustration. within one week the muscles in your leg will atrophy so be prepared to have a regular one and one that looks like its one an emaciated person would have. Wow there are so many things to say about any kind of longterm healing from foot/ankle surgery. Have things on hand that you like to do--books, hobbies, puzzles because there is only so much tv you can watch before going brain dead. I read, have a long term hobby I do, play games on my phone, watch tv/netflixs and i do work part-time from home so that helps take up some time of the day. Keep an eye on your emotions. Its so easy to get depressed and feel lonely. Get out of the house as much as possible. Im sure I'll think of other things but this it all I can think of right now. Saturdays are my favorite day because my husband and I both love college football so thats how we spend Saturdays. Let me know if I can help any other way

• Posted

Thanks for suggestions, I will definitely follow them. I visited Dr yesterday and he told me, because of cast treatment of my lisfranc dislocated injury, fusion will be only option.

can u feel reduced pain day by day.?

had is any limitations in activities after recovery told by your Dr about this surgery. ? pls share.

I have one most important question for me pls must reply, is your Dr discuss about adjoining arthritis? if yes how much time it will take to be symptomatic?

thanks

• Posted

Technically you should be feeling reduced pain every day after the first 2-3 days Your pain should subside by then that you'll only need Tylenol. Incase you arent told DO NOT take any Motrin, Aleve, Ibuprophen. It has something to do with bone healing. Since its your midfoot you shouldnt notice anything in regards to reduced activities. My dr said I wont be playing football but thats not a problem. I'm a 51 year old female who WAS in good before all this happened. The adjoining arthritis is a good question that I dont have an answer for. I see him a week from today and will ask. My guess is that unless there is another injury those joints wont be affected but Im not a dr! What is the date of your surgery?

• Posted

I think I forgot to ask you this? Where will you be spending your 10 weeks recovery? Your bed? Your sofa?

• Posted

Hi

i m residing in one 3rd floor and spend 10 weeks in either in apartment and near by places.

my mom will be available for 3-3 weeks.

As u said, i plan second opinion, in fact third opinion with another Dr then Dr will decide date. I hope it will be last week of nov.

• Posted

you have already had a second and third opinion and they all agree?

you will basically be on a couch/bed for 10 weeks. to save your couch/bed go to the store and by a twin sized 4 in memory foam pad if youll be in bed the whole time get whatever size bed you have. Lying in the same spot basically 24/7 will ruin your furniture. i got mine at costco and cut it to fit my couch. Last year i was in the same spot I'm in right now for 13 weeks and you cant even tell If I hadnt had this my couch wouls have already been ruined. It also helps with pressure point pain and its helps keep you cool. In 24 hours Im typically in my spot no less than 22 hours if you count in bathroom breaks, personal hygiene and going to the printer to get things for work.

• Posted

Hi

thanks for suggestion, i purchased memory foam pad.

yes I consulted with three foot surgeon and they all suggest fusion as my first TMT joint is damaged and generate arthritic pain and second joint also initiate to give pain.

Hope u feel well right now.

• Posted

you'll be much more comfortable with the memory foam!

I see my dr on Wednesday and will ask him about arthritis developing in the joints around the fusion--if I can remember! i have a little over an hour drive, about 30 minutes from the Baltimore beltway and my appointment is at 8:15! will leave my house around 6:30 ugh!

I will let you know what he says and any other i formation I can pass along. He should be able to answer that question since I have 2 large incisions on my foot. Im sure he took a good look at all the surrounding joints .

Let me know when your surgery is scheduled. You will be ok and make it through. Surgery doesnt bother me anymore. In the past 6-7 years I've had 1 surgery on my left shoulder, 4 on my right shoulder, 1 on my left ankle (but 4 in 2005), and 3 on my right foot. we figured my ortho has performed 8 of those as he is my foot/ankle ortho. I love the guy but dont enjoy seeing him! as time gets closer I'll give you some other helpful suggestions. hang in there!

• Posted

Hi

What a strong willpower you have because u performed about 7-8 surgery where I m very afraid about my only one surgery. 👏 for you.

i think your wound will be healed properly.

yes u definitely ask your dr about adjoining joint arthiritis.

my dr said about this.

• Posted

are u met to your dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.