Midfoot Fusion Surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I think I will have to have midfoot fusion surgery on my right foot due to arthritis that has gotten more painful from a severe accident 36 years ago. I also have a bad bone spur in front of my big toe on the other foot.

I am very worried because I live alone with a large dog in an small, older bungalow with many steps, poorly accessible bathrooms, etc.

. I do not have a good support system of friends and family and don't know how I could manage there. Paying for aides and transportation will be very expensive! I don't want to have to give up my dog and spend 3+ months living in a rehab or nursing home!

I have not read of any people who go through serious foot surgeries under these circumstances. I would love to hear from such patients if there are any in this forum!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melinda!! Where exactly are you having the fusion done at? like which toes? reason i ask is because i had my 4th and 5th metatarsals fused twice to be exact and it was not a good experience. the first time the fusion broke apart within 12wks after surgery resulting in having to do it again with a bone graft. i was non weight baring after that for 5mths the pain never subsided. a year after surgery i chamged drs finally and he had a ct scan done. the results were that the bones never fused. so he gave me the option of doing an arthroplasty basically was my only option at this point. so i decided to try it. that was in jan. the pain never got any better. he told me there was nothing else he could do. so now i am left with making the biggest decision of my life

• Posted

Hi Karrie,

I know this is unrelated to the original question but I had my fourth toes (had both feet done at same time) fused together, by the PIPJ joimt to be exact, with the use of K-Wires,

It has been 10 days since ive had the wires removed and my toes are still sore to walk on, and they hurt,

Regarding your experience, is this normal for my feet to still be in this way?

I go abroad in 3 weeks time and thinking I may book an appointment if I'm still getting the same issue - does this sound reasonable?

If you're unable to give advice with this I understand and not to worry!x

• Posted

i have had foot fusion surgery for flat feet. I had my first foot done last Aug and i will be having my second foot done on Thursday. You will definitely need a support system. For me the surgery was the easy part the recovery was harder for me. You can manage to get up and down the stairs by just scooting up and down on your butt however you will need space to be able to move around on crutches. You will also need someone to drive you to and from the surgery. Depending on your surgeon you may stay over night in the hospital. I hope this information is helpful.

• Edited

I had a midfoot fusion at the end of december. I was worried because my husband had a business trip scheduled a few weeks after my surgery for a week and I live in a 2 story house. Luckily i was able to do just fine!! I found creative ways to get around and be independant without my husband there. I was able to function and take care of my kids while he was gone. My surgery went extremely well and i was back in shoes and walking around by 10 weeks!!! The only thing I made absolute sure I did was to stay completely off my foot for the first 6 weeks like they ask you to. I did have a knee scooter and that saved me!!! With the assistance of my knee scooter i was able to do anything I wanted. Good luck!! You will do great!!

• Posted

Hi this is so hopeful. So far you are the 1st thread that sounds positive. I was hoping to wait other 5 years (I'm turning 50 next year) but now I am debating if this the time to have my mid foot fusion surgery. I have a 13 and 10 year old kids. Because of Covid life is slower and we are all home. Plus my husband is working from home. It will cut down on some of the logistics.

Any take aways from your experience you wish you knew before the surgery.?

How are you doing now?

• Edited

Hi Melinda,

I had a mid foot bone fusion because of deterioration from osteo arthritis June 1, 2018. It was a long summer for me and it is kind of a blur. I had pins inserted in two toes of the same foot due to "claw" toes in the same surgery. I don't remember how long i was non-weight bearing--weeks. i had a cast and then a boot. Crutches were a struggle for me, so i relied on a knee walker. Stairs were tough. I am 60 and was quite nervous about getting up and downstairs (scooting up on your rear is ok, but when i got to the top, i had a hard time getting up off the floor on one foot). I had a bed moved to the main floor of my house (in the dining room!) and there is a bathroom on that level, but no shower. i was so nervous that i had a support worker come in 3x/wk to be with me to climb up and down the stairs , carry up the knee walker, and assist me with getting dressed, although i really didnt need help--but i wanted someone there while my husband was at work while managing stairs and getting in and out of the shower. i have a tiny dog who doesnt require much exercise and she was just as happy following me around and sitting outside with me.

Your situation, living alone, having stairs, the bathroom situation, and a large dog are all concerning. i could drive as it was my left foot, but getting to the car and in and out by myself was very hard. I do think you will need some support, particularly when you cannot put any weight on your foot. Meal prep, dishes, laundry--it was all a struggle. I do think you will need help, even for walking your dog.

i hope you can work out some kind of arrangement. I had a knee replacement at 50 and had no trouble with crutches--big difference at 60! If youre younger than me and fitter than me, you probably will have less trouble. Best of luck to you. (My foot has healed and everyday it feels better. Still improving after a year!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.