Midnight Cramps!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Basically I call it that-\"Midnight Cramps.\" I have had it since about 30 for 15 years now. At first, I thought it constipation. As it turned out, over the years, it just couldn't be that. I may have had an episode early in my youth but not totally sure. Never spoke to a doctor til now. Always thought it would go away. Never did. 99% of my episodes are in the middle of the night. It wakes me up. The pain gets slowly escalates and until it reaches it's most excruciating and then subsides. If you have ever had a leg cramp, it feels like that only in your bottom. Muscles seem to be contracting and a strong massage pushing deep into the skin around the area is somewhat of a relief. I tried totally muscular relaxation and that seemed to work somewhat. I tried moving about and knee bends but nothing. It is a horrible pain. It can last anywhere between 2-3 minutes to 30 minutes which seem like an eternity. Spoke to my doc and he didn't really know the cause but stressed eating fiber and staying away from peanuts. I can't renounce from peanuts as I am an addict in that respect.

I wish everyone on this board well. It feels good to share this secret with others. Since my conversation with my doctor I have come out of the closet. I have shared this pain with my daughter, wife and ex. I have also opened up here on this board. It had always been something mysterious and aggravating potentially very serious ailment. I always hoped it would go away on its own. It was also somewhat embarrassing to speak to someone about it.

Will try the heat. God, I hope it helps.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

[quote:f7fb6c1855=\"antonio\"] Spoke to my doc and he didn't really know the cause but stressed eating fiber and staying away from peanuts. I can't renounce from peanuts as I am an addict in that respect.

[/quote:f7fb6c1855]

That's interesting. Just before my last bad attack, I binged on a jar of peanuts. Not long after, it kicked off. I tried to remember what I had done out of the norm that might of triggerred this, and all I could think of was the peanuts. I have stayed away from anything knowingly that contains nuts and not had a bad attack since. Saying this, my PF attacks happen very few and far between so its still early days, but you never know. Perhaps something to think about for others?

• Posted

[quote:e71d06ee62=\"Anonymous\"][quote:e71d06ee62=\"antonio\"] Spoke to my doc and he didn't really know the cause but stressed eating fiber and staying away from peanuts. I can't renounce from peanuts as I am an addict in that respect.

[/quote:e71d06ee62]

That's interesting. Just before my last bad attack, I binged on a jar of peanuts. Not long after, it kicked off. I tried to remember what I had done out of the norm that might of triggerred this, and all I could think of was the peanuts. I have stayed away from anything knowingly that contains nuts and not had a bad attack since. Saying this, my PF attacks happen very few and far between so its still early days, but you never know. Perhaps something to think about for others?[/quote:e71d06ee62]

hi....

now this is interesting...im 34 and am writing this at 5:30 in the morning in a comfotable position experiencing a bout right now having been woke up again. i have suffered this for last 3 or four years about five times a year, starts with itching before i fall asleep , along with the feeling of y,know erection and hey, a stroke too (i think the urge to masterbate comes from the itch that brings on the erection) later i wake up with the pain in my rectum and inevitbly end up tryin to crap without sucess as it only feels like i need to go, and yet staying on the toilet is a relief to the problem! i also find lifting my ball-sack and pressing down around the 'tendons' of my penis does help (between the arse crack and start of the ball sack) ------But! i had never heard of the peanuts thing AND 48 hours ago i eat an entire family sized pack of dry roasted peanuts (i love em) in bed whilst reading stephen kings 'insomnia' of all books.....right pain is receding now (25 mins and sweats n nausea later) ..will check here again next bout, l8tr!

• Posted

hey, this thing seems to be global. And btw, I've red PF has been known for the last 2000 years. The romes have described the symptoms, in the early litterature.

Well, I went to the doc today, because of several other reasons, but I also described, those mysterius attacks I once in a while are going through in the middle of the night.

He had no doubt, and diagnosed it as PF right away.

I have had this for the last 5 years, but as many others, I haven't mentioned it before now. The frequency is about 6-7 attacks a year and mostly lasts half an hour. It is quite painfull.

When I'm having such an attack, I normally walk up and down the floor. Once I went for a walk in the streets, only in my underwear. I was quite desperate. (I didn't meet anyone) I figure all other people was sound asleep. Could of cource have met another PF allied that time at night. :-)

I'm not sure the walking helps, but so far I haven't found other ways to ease the attack.

Btw. I dont eat peanuts, so I dont think the peanut theory will do. At least not in my case.

• Posted

I've just red in one of the other threads, that stress perhaps could be a trigger for PF.

My attacks most often appears, when I go to bed very late, and have to get up early the next day.

Before I go to sleep I know I wont achieve enough sleep, to be 100% the next day. And this fact stresses me.

And of course such a night, when I only have the possibillity to get 4-5 hours of sleep, then after perhaps 2 hours sleep, I wake up with a pain in the ... and my sleep is now reduced to 2-3 hours. Not very pratical.

so in my case - yes perhaps.

Not all my attacks have been with this history, but surely several times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.