Midshaft femur fracture butt pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. So I midshaft fractured my right femur in a motorcycle accident on the 4th of July and got a rod put in. Everything has been going great but a few days ago I started getting this horrible pain in my right glute where the stitches are and where the rod went in. At first I thought it was a cramp but I'm started to doubt that. At this stage I've noticed that it only occurs while sitting and while upright and walking around I don't have any issues. While sitting as long as I twist my leg inward (the foot wants to flop outward naturally right now for some reason) the pain reduces.

I'm fearful at this time of an injection or abscess. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I can't get a follow up with my dr until mid August.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

To add it's also hard as a rock and seems inflamed at the glute as well

• Posted

Hi Patrick you have definitely been through the wars, is your butt hot and inflamed, are you feeling OK in yourself, if you don't then I suggest you make an appointment to see your GP its probably all perfectly normal but never hurts to get it checked, your foot dropping to the outside is usually the sign of a fractured hip but u say you broke yours mid femur so that would be half way between hip and knee, are you slouching when you sit, maybe you need to sit higher, also are you icing it to help with pain

• Posted

I am a 71 year old female and wouldn't go near a motorcycle but just over three years ago I slipped in the garden and broke my femur mid-shaft. I also had a rod put in with screws top and bottom. All went well but once I was more mobile I was getting discomfort and a crunching feeling at the top and at my knee end I could see the tendon flicking over the end of the screws.  Seventeen months after having the rod put in I had the screws taken out and it completely cured the discomfort I had been feeling.  I was told when I had the op that the screws were sticking out a bit and might cause problems as I am quite thin and apparently the tendons etc. around the screws can get damaged with the constant movement over them.  If you haven't got any swelling or obvious signs of an infection I am wondering if perhaps the screws are causing the problem, although mine was when I walked and not when I sat down which is opposite to you but maybe worth thinking about.   If you heal as well as I did then within seven months you should be back to "normal" although I am pretty sure that one leg is slightly longer than the other. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Patrick, I had motorcycle accident years ago, loads of operation afterwards. I did have a rod in my femur twice, that type that goes through the middle of the bone, no screws. Both time the rod has moved up and was sticking out into my glute muscles. I could feel it every time I sat down in a chair, especially if the chair had hard back smile The first rod I had even bent in the middle for no reason, and had to be replaced with a thicker one. That one moved up as well, but they left it in for months because it wasn't causing any other troubles (appart from having to be careful where and how I sit). In your case I would make an appointment with your doctor and have it Xrayed as soon as possible, just to make sure there is no other damage. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.