might this be an ovarian cyst?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 46, and have been having right sided abdo pain for a couple of months now. I have ME, so am used to aches and pains, but I have a feeling this is unrelated and gynae based. You could usually set your watch by my period, but now I'm nearly three weeks overdue as well. (DH had a vasectomy, so I can't be pregnant). My usually enormous appetite has disappeared (great for weight loss, lol), and I have been feeling sick some of the time.

I have tried reading various bits about ovarian cysts on the web, but there is conflicting advice as to how long to leave things before consulting a GP (wait three months, they usually go away type stuff). Our surgery makes appointment access very hard anyway, so I'm reluctant to go if they're going to turn me away. It's not a 'heck I need to get to A&E now'  pain, more of a dull ache, but it has been getting progessively worse over the past few days.

Sorry for the long post, but any thoughts please?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

See your GP and be as specific as you can.  dont rely on the internet for a diagnosis, see a qualified doctor and be patient.  There are many type of cyst.  I had a dermoid cyst, but it was only p icked up during an routine ultrasound scan for diverticular disease where I'd previously had a largebenign  polyp in  my sigmoid colon.  It was only then that I realised some of my symptoms had been caused by the cyst and not the diverticular disease.  See a doctor, as this is obviously a change from normal for you.  Good luckwink
  • Posted

Thank you, and for such a swift reply smile

I will try and get through tomorrow morning and make an appointment. Our GP's won't forward book, you can only phone on the day (and they are 2 GP's short so appointments are pretty hard to come by), but I can try!

• Posted

good luck tina!  I'm just doing my 'work' for the day, as I;m recovering from an op to remove cyst and ovaries and I'm not allowed to do any lifting!  Aw shucks, that means I can't do any housework!exclaim Would your husband go with you to the docs?  Sometimes they take more notice then.
    • Posted

Thank you!

He would. because he is brilliant... but unfortunately we run our own business and one of us needs to be there (esp as we have an employee who is on 'sick' leave at the moment).

• Posted

OK tina, the only other thing I can suggest is either you get an evening appointment, get a friend to mind the phones, or as you walk in say "my husband wanted to come with me but has to work".  I'm off to tackle those dishes nowsad, light housework is allowed, doh! keep me posted, and once again, hope it works out well.razz
  • Posted

I had an ovarian cyst quite a few years ago.  It started by feeling like someone was poking me in the side with their finger.  It wasn't VERY painful, just a pain where I knew it was there but it didn't hurt a lot.  This carried on for quite a while, I saw my doctor, saw a consultant who said I had a small cyst and that they would keep their eye on it and some cysts go away on their own.  About a year went by, still not a great deal of pain, just an on and off poking feeling but it started to get more painful and I saw a weekend doctor at a different surgery and he told me to go to the hospital and they admitted me and I had an operation.  I was told that the cyst was the size of a billiard ball and that they had also taken the ovary away.  The cyst was checked for cancer, something that they apparently do for everything that gets removed from a body, not cancerous and no problems since.  I had already had a hysterectomy years before that but even with one ovary left I still had some monthly sysmptoms but I don't get them any more as I am too old!

I would definitely make an appointment to see a doctor, even if you have to keep ringing every morning until you get one, at least you should know one way or another. 

• Posted

Thank you smile Actually 'feeling as though I'm being poked with a finger' is pretty accurate a lot of the time; not a massive pain, just a niggle.

I was on the point of making an appointment last week when I got my period! Assumed that the pain and nausea would go away afterwards, but they haven't. Went to the GP's this morning (only took 50 minutes to get through on the phone, LOL), and she was lovely. Bloods booked, and appointment for scan being made. 

She was very non-committal, i.e. 'lets not speculate until we know what we're up against', which is a bit scary; but at least I have done something about it now instead of burying my head in the sand. Oh, and I have anti-nausea pills; if they work it will make everything easier to cope with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.