MIGRAINE ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello .

Need some help , Advice .

3 weeks ago { yes I know fine well I should have acted on this Much sooner but have good reason not to} I rose from my bed , got to the stairs and was all over the place with little of no power in both legs but mainly the left .

I normally have a wee blether with myself out loud and that point realised something was very wrong .

My partner came downstairs just after me and as soon as she saw me sitting down she knew something was wrong .

I had the classic symptoms ... Droop at left side of mouth , left arm completely powerless ,. trouble speaking and trouble working out what I wanted to say .

Partner wanted to call 111 but I didnt want this and wanted to try and calm myself down .

4 or so hours later some of the symptoms were improving slightly , talk was improving , left arm still week but not as bad .

Finding it easier to formulate what I wanted to say .

As the days went on over the next 3 weeks things gradually improved with exercise and patience .

To jump on a bit after speaking to my partner we decided to speak to my GP .

She pretty much immediately got me an appointment at the stroke clinic next day after hearing the various symptoms and reactions {had had a TIA back in January 2016} .

Went to the Stroke clinic "yesterday 12.08.2021 " spent 2 hours going through the tests , Strength , cognitive , CT scan , Ultrasound and a 1 minute ECG .

After the tests spoke with the Stroke nurse who informed me barring a low heart rate for the ECG everything was fine and informed me that it was probably a Migraine Id had and that it can present similar symptoms to a TIA or stroke .

Has anyone else been told of this outcome or can anyone perhaps expand on the above ?

To from something I felt might be serious to a suggested Migraine concerns me from the point of view of it no longer being a serious issue .

She has sent through a request for an MRI just to make sure but both myself and family are a little confused by her diagnoses .

Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful .

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. I had a similar experience a year last June but just my right arm and leg went weak. I went to Dr. and he said 'I don't think it is a stroke but tests will have to rule it out'. It took 9 weeks to get the result from MRI brain scan. Dr. said I had not had a recent stroke but I had an small old scar on my Pons area of brain to my surprise. The stroke Dr. did not say for definate that was the cause of the weakness, he probably did not know! I have had Migraine Auras without headache on and off for years which give me shimmering lights and blind spots and unable to speak properly and even a numbness but I can go for years without. I do get anxious and stressed at times which could bring it on. I hope you get answers to put your mind at ease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.