Migraine & Amitripyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to this site & i wondered if anyone else is suffering like me with terrible headaches.

I have suffered for years & everytime i go to the docs one says its migraine, another doc cluster headaches, another tension anxiety headaches??????

So as you can see i feel so lost if they cannot even decide sad.

I have tried lots of tablets ranging from naproxen, propananol, imagran, co-codamol, brufen & now amitriptyline 20mg.

And i just wondered if anyone else has suffered the same as me with no relief.

Is there anything else i can try to help me?

I am also on sertraline for depression & anxierty.

Please help me with any advice or suggestions & thank you for taking the time to read my problem x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I too am also new to this and understand your frustration.

you seem to have tried lots of different drugs including migraine preventatives and lots of pain killers.

you are only on 20mg amitriptyline but the maximum dose for migraines is 70mg (ish) so give it a chance and slowly up the dose and see if that helps.

It sounds like you should asked to be referred to a neuro consultant ( though mine was crap and I am getting much more help from the stroke consultant)

stick with it and good luck

• Posted

Hello. I have joined this site today as my 28 year old daughter has suffered with migraine since she was 4. She has seen a neuro surgeon who gave her a prescription for amitriptyline, but she is nervous of taking them as she has a 3 year old daughter and fears drowsiness. The dosage is only 10mg which he said will increase slowly as time goes by. Do they make you feel drowsy? She has a migraine as I am typing this, and it is awful seeing her in so much pain and tears. . I am at my wits end that she wont take the tablets. She does take all the other pain relief thats available over the counter, but obviously these do nothing when her attack is bad. xx
  • Posted

Hi,

each drug affects different people in different ways, I am a terrible sleeper and I hoped that the amitriptyline would help me sleep- No chance!

My partner is a pharmacy tech and told me to take the tablets at night, so your daughter could try that.

Over the counter drugs wont touch a migraine so ask the doctor for some prescription drugs.

I have to say that I am on 50mg amitriptyline and it doesn't do anything - it seemed to work for a few days/weeks then the headaches came back.

Even if she does feel slightly drowsy she can "work through it" I once took a sleeping tablet by mistake in the morning, I was groggy but didn't even nod off.

Good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. I will pass the info on to her. Just for the record the surgeon did say she will more than likely end up on 100/150mg max. Maybe you need to increase your dosage? Just saying.....

Again many thanks for your reply

• Posted

The maximum recommended for migraine ( it is actually an antidepressant and not licenced for migraine) is 70mg I think.

And I suffer from hemiplegic migraine which they now say shouldn't be treated with the "standard" migraine treatments

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.