migraine and memory loss with fibromaygia

Posted , 4 users are following.

since haveING fibro for the past two years my latest symptoms are migraine and memory loss the memory loss seems to distress me the most I forget phone calls,conversations,where iv placed things, I feel like I'm going insane and that no one really understands me my migraines leave me weak and sleepy for 48 hours I have 4children and a job and I can't function proply todo my usual reutine

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was told years ago I had fibro by a rheumotologist and then since I didn't have it. Now Im told I have Guillaine Barr syndrom which caused peripheral neuropathy in both my feet and legs to my knees. You know, I just take one day at a time, and try to feel blessed that I'm as healthy as I am. I pray for your pain and hope that it will dissapate. I've heard that fibro has different varying degress and I feel grateful that whatever I've had didn't keep me from working and having an active life.
  • Posted

Hi Sara....oh my god...snap....I know it is very hard to cope with. I forget where I have put things seconds later....and I am the same with phone calls and conversations....

I began to carry a pad round with me to write things down, trouble was I kept losing it....I offended a niece of mine because I called her baby girl the wrong name twice...she has not spoken to me since...my daughter, sister and others have told her that I would never do it purposefully....but she still is. The same.....I do greatly sympathize with you , we have to hope that it will improve.....

Big h.hugs to you ...please take care and try not to worry too much......xxxxxx

• Posted

thankyou for your lovely reply my sympathy also with u and such a shame about the falling out but hopefully she will try and understand your illness and maybe she could read up on it so she is aware we don't do these things on purpose my latest memory loss was I put my kettle in the fridge searches high and low for it another I watched emmer dale 2 seconds later I didn't even remember watching it another was ringing my son to see why he wasn't home from school and didn't remember I had seen and spoken to him 5minutes before that and he was only sat on his bedroom it really worries me x
  • Posted

Hi Sara, I do understand how your feeling and the utter frustration that comes with it. I used to have the sharpest of memories and now....well I need reminding of my own name sometimes. Not literally but it feels that way some days. My poor husband will listen to me tell him the same thing several times over, followed by "have I said this already?". I forget names, appointments and birthdays. I got so bad that I insisted on being checked for dementia, which thankfully I don't it is distressing but I've now since learned to laugh at it. My daughter finds it incredibly embarrassing when I blame the meds/drugs when we're out in public, but then she  will say "come on mum, time for your meds" too. I'm a young looking 47 but I'll blame my age, which always provokes a quizzical glance.

i think the point I'm making is this, sometimes it feels like your losing any sense of self you have but you have to find a way your own way of living with it. You can learn to laugh at it, you can make notes and write things down, (but only if you can remember where you left them), you can put important things in your phone, it's all about managing it. Some days will seem better than others and we all have varying levels of difficulty.

i wish there was more I could offer to you,but your truly not alone with it. Best of luck xx

• Posted

thankyou for your lovely reply and so nice to know I'm not alone altho I try and laugh at the silly things most the time they really freak me out and puzzles me but I may try the writting things down and storing things maybe set reminders on my phone smilereally great full for all the advice glad u r well and hope it stays that way funny how little things makes u feel like a different person x
    • Posted

I've had to do the very same things...  reminders everywhere!  I set phone alarms etc to go with the messages to remind me I have an hr then half an hour etc....   reinforced with large written notes 'In My Face'...  in the most strategic of places... where I am in the house, even multiple notes for the same appointment/s... lol...seriously I am that bad.  I did get a tad slack and just recently missed an appointment, finally realised this mess and went in and appologised.  So I was able to Re book, both appointments were made in the morning (not good for me).  I went to bed with the intentions of not missing that 2nd appointment but ..... yup, I semi woke up and being so tired and sore for so long, had slipped back into a coma!!   Woke up to the cell phone screaming at me, as soon as I heard the voice on the phone I went spiralling into stress and anxiety mode.... I couldn't stop feeling so sick with the knowledge I was slipping backwards.... dam!!   I had explained on the phone I wasn't good and was still in bed, that they had woken me.  Apologising that this missing appointments is not a deliberate thing.  Re booking yet again, I asked for an appointment for the afternoon, thank full that they abliged me.  I have half an hour NOW this very minute to get to that actual appointment... I have had Three!!  alarms going off to remind me, as I can get so easily distracted and the fact I have 30 - 25 minutes to make the appointment (thankfully just 3 minutes away)..  I am now on here tapping away I can easily get side tracked and the memory of the appointment can simply s l i d e  away.....

All the best, and try not to stress....just try to combine strategies and even if you can ask your family to even assist with 'memory' of certain things...  They will learn to work with you....

Take care.... Must dash...snail pace but getting there! hahaha

• Posted

thankyou for your reply have me in giggles hope u made your appointment rolleyes I think I'm going to try some of your surgestions and hopefully they will work to be honest it's not appointments I miss as husband insists on me going to all of them and won't let me forget but it's other stuff but it scares me haha take care x
    • Posted

I made it with 10 minutes to spare!  phew and no other distractions.

I have to caution you...  I took months, well for me a good 4 years to set up my routine.  (I had head trauma issues so a bit more of a set back) When I figured out that simply writing a note and just popping down or in my bag wasn't going to work!  I stuck them on the fridge, still didn't work as I mentally would forget to recheck the notes after a few days and just got used to flapping bits of paper under the fridge magnet/s. haha

Also an alarm would go off, hopefully I had set it correctly on the right day, AND with adequate information to back up what the alarm was about!!

I now have TWO things I use as technological back up, ipod has Alarm and notation to say what alarm is for.  I set the clock alarm also.

I use my celphone as a diary and clock alarm.

AND to back up this system ... BIG NOTES OF PAPER 'in my Face'.. beside my iPod and Phone, next to my bed on the bedside cabinet for when I do wake up.

NEXT Note on my Bench next to my Bag that I will leave there with my keys as a visual reminder, to check .. 'the note again' at anytime between getting up out of bed and what ever else before 'appointment/s or other things on the note or NOTES for the day.

Hint I will leave myself those Paper notes insitue for a week sometimes in those strategic spots simply as an exercise for my memory, it has helped me immensely and I honestly can say, I can't do it or manage any other way.  

Basic Calenders on the wall are meaningless to me..  

Also..  I am not able to cram to much 'To Do' stuff in one day, or I lose it anyway real fast, physically and mentally.  Thats just something I have had to come to terms with.  

I am luckier that some that I don't have as many demands on me with others in the house as I live alone.  My distractions are probably a lot fewer.  I know longer have dependants....hmmmm (well tongue in cheek..lol)  No, been single now for quite some time, and no kids at home as mine grown and flown.

A cat and hyper dog keep me company now..and my oil paint..fresh air and nature..  Life is tough with Fibro, but I have learnt to keep it simple pretty much, because I can't cope otherwise.  :-)

• Posted

wow what u say really helps thankyou so much I have 4young ones so awhile foe me and my husband yet till they leave home haha take care of your self and I'm going to use some of your surgestions smilex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.