Migraine aura and progesterone contraception

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, had anyone found that taking a progesterone only contraception pill has helped reduce their migraine auras? Would love to hear your experience with this particular form of contraception in regards to your auras. 

Thanks 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I found progesterone late in the migraine battle during perimenopause. Several gyns wanted to put me on estrogen, but that was the opposite of what I needed. Many are not familiar with the benefits of progesterone supplementation. Migraine has a hormonal component - the drop in progesterone and the spike in estrogen during the menstrual cycle triggers migraine. I learned about progesterone and the brain doing research online. I cannot comment on it as far as a contraception method. Talk to your gyn about that. I know it has helped me tremendously. It also helps combat PMS and menopause symptoms. I also use progesterone cream as an extra when I am under stress. The body produces less progesterone when you are under stress because it uses the pregnenolone to make cortisol instead. Took me years to discover how this whole process works. Hope this helps you. Do give it a try and see how you feel!
  • Posted

I just started having “silent migraines “ a few months ago and have now been told my progesterone is low. I’m in the process of getting the prescription cream. Hoping this helps, mine are triggered by lighting. I feel like I can’t go anywhere!! Would love to hear if you’ve started progesterone therapy and if it’s helping you. 
    • Posted

Dear melissa

I have been suffering silent migraines for the last year I get as many as six a month down to perhpas one. Due to family history I dont take any sort of hormones it will be interesting to see if the cream helps you.

• Posted

The progesterone pill reduced the amount of migraine attacks that I got, however when I get a migraine the aura is prolonged for weeks but I used to get them alot more often before the progesterone pill, its definitely worth a shot smile
    • Posted

That’s encouraging. Do you use the cream or the pill form? How long did it take to notice a difference? 
    • Posted

I use the pill. A month or so, once my body got used to the pill my migraines reduced.

• Posted

Did your auras always last a long time or only after taking the pill? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.