Migraine aura triggers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

Just wondering if any one has worked out what triggers their auras.

I get auras with out or a very small headache . I am trying to figure out the triggers to avoid them coming on. Any information would help me so

Much. Thank you 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lizzie

I have tried to keep a diary of what possible triggers could be for my auras (like you, I sometimes get a mild headache afterwards). I think looking at my mobile phone in low light triggers them, plus other sort of lights, like the fridge light and car lights. Im sure rose' wine has set them off before and sometimes caffeine and yet other times drinking tea and coffee it doesnt. I once had one while swimming and one after. I havent always had these, Hoe long have you been having them and what Frequency?

• Posted

Thank you, I think light may be a trigger for me also.

I started getting auras last may aftwr having my first baby. It’s been a hard year of adjusting to having them. They scare me even though they only last 20-30 mins. I just want to try figure out what sets them off so I canavoid them. They come randomly, some times weeks apart and sometimes days apart. No real pattern. How about you? 

• Posted

I think hormones play apart too as I started getting them in menopause. I never suffered migraines before although my son did in childhood (abdominal ones) which changed to ordinary ones and myvdad said that he gets the auras too (which I never knew). They started a couple of years ago and then stopped but reappeared last July. I have had as many as six a month but normally 3 or 4. Mine too only last 20/30 mins. I went to see a neurologist but he didnt seem that concerned
    • Posted

Why do doctor don't understand this serious sickness we got , it's sad to me..

If they put more attention to what we are saying..we know our bodies better than anybody else.

There's something very wrong here🤕😩😵😱🤢

• Posted

I agree Sandra for that reason I requested a mri scan which he is sending me to, im all for tests to rule things out, I would advise the same to everyone
  • Posted

Hello Lizzie,

I had that Saturday the dizziness, vomitting, with fainting spells and my eyes 😩🤢 we're watering with the Aura. It's a horrible feeling and the massive pressure in your head.

I can't see T.V. much now, I see lines and spots in my right specially when I'm getting the attacks.

The bright liths bother me , the scream on the cell phone it's on low now. The noises get my eye worse.

You just need relaxing, lots of bed rest in a dark room..no noises cause it gets worse. This is a horrible sickness hun..

Hope you get better as well as me cause life it's hard as is but with this conditions it makes it harder for me.

Sincerely Sandra🤢🤔😩🤕😱🤗??

• Posted

After suffering with migraines for over 40 years, I actually have fewer with aura now but the triggers I find are ironing stripy clothes, sunlight flickering through trees as I'm driving and 3d films. I always found that if I took medication as soon as I got the aura, the actual headache would be bearable. Nowadays though, most of my migraines are without aura and recently daily. Was rather hoping that as I got older I would ' grow ' out of them 😐

• Posted

Hello Kathy

For me I live with regular migraines all my life and now almost 48 years old, and I also thought that they will go away as I get older, nope I was so wrong cause last Saturday I got the biggest horrifying experience with my new sickness called Hemiplegic Migraines with Aura..

Omg horrible feeling and the way it made my body numb it's a horrible thing to go through.

My husband called the ambulance twice and I ended up in the emergency, were all they did it's give me regular pills that don't help me.

Now that I got older I'm getting worse pains and worse pressure in my head with dropping of my mouth on the right side. Not easy to handled

Hope u get better soon and hope you get a good neurologist that listens to your symptoms enough to make it them easier.

Take care 😵🤔🤢😩🤕😵

• Posted

I think the migraines can change as we age, my friends husband's migraines have changed for him (now in his fifties) he has episodes of forgetfulness, thankfully being checked out. I have experienced the auras for the first time since turning fifty which is new for me as I never had migraines or auras in my life before.

• Posted

Hello Lizzie

I notice that with Aura Hemiplegic Migraines it's a horrible seen clear.

I cover the bulbs in the house with a light blanket to make it easy with my eyes, and the sun kills me to. So u need sunglasses Even if your home.

And some spicy food make my symptoms worse.

I also put a wet towel with cold water in my forehead and that's how I manage to fall sleep at times. But the pain and pressure it's always there.

Hope u feel better hun🤕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.