Migraine, Dizziness, Neck Pain for 8 weeks - HELP!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am so sorry but this is likely to be a long post - I am absolutely desperate for some advice.  About 8 weeks ago I was at work (at my PC) when all of a sudden I lost my vision (very blurry) for about a minute and felt dizzy.. it was almost like someone had turned off a switch and the power went out. I gained my composure but felt very jittery afterwards and a little nauseous.   2 weeks later I developed a migraine headache and felt sick, dizzy and sometimes would suffer with brain shakes that I could not control.  Headaches are still with me 6 weeks on and eyesight is blurry with occasional vertigo and sometimes I wake up shaking (also numbness to left arm and hand)!  To add to the symptoms, the past two weeks I have had neck and shoulder pain and now having problems with ear pain/pressure and swollen glands.    I've been to the doctors several times and they have suggested I have Migraine (8 weeks worth?) or possibly Fibromyalgia!   I've presented to A&E three times as the symptoms can be severe and I have felt out of control.    I do have High Blood Pressure (treated with Ramipril) and an Underactive Thyroid Gland (treated with Levothyroxine).  I've had blood tests(all normal), BP is high and CT Scan came back normal.   The medical profession is treating me like it's all in my head and asking whether I'm anxious, but seriously, 2 months later and I'm at the end of my tether!  I am seeing a Neurologist in a week (paying for Private treatment), however I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the outcome was?  I'm really worried that this is something more serious and I have seriously never suffered for this amount of time in my whole life.  Any advice would be most appreciated.  Thank you

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Poor you....keep on nagging the medical profession! If you dont shout you dont get help.

I am on 40mg per day of Propranolol, as my (YOUNG) GP recogised this a new way forward for treating migraines......might work for you.

I am not totally pain free, but it is now manageable and i can work full time.

Take care

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and I will keep on fighting for a diagnosis.  How long have you been taking Propranolol for?    In what way has it helped?  I think I have taken this in the distant past and remember I felt so cold all the time :-)  Thank you again for your very kind note back.

• Posted

HI

I have been taking Propranolol for about 18 months now.

Good points

·         severe attacks have almost disappeared

·         More energy

·         Appetite returned

Bad points

·         Weight gain (about 8-10lbs)

Really hope you find something that works for you.....sending you calming and healing thoughts x

• Posted

You are not crazy. I have had every symptom you've described for 13 months now. I was finally diagnosed with a rare condition most medical professional haven't heard of... It's called Occipital Neuralgia. I highly recommend you join our closed FaceBook forum-called Occipital Neuralgia. There is a ton of information provided by over 2,000 members who battle this disorder. You can email me & I would be happy to share more. Dr. Ducic does a surgical procedure that most people try to get insurance to cover--nerve decompression. Google him & ON & you will have a video of his presentation. I've done everything, including Occiptial Nerve blocks under floruscopy. Nothing has helped... I live on ice & try to avoid medication as it creates more problems. Join the group! I'm sorry you're suffering.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and I am so sorry you have been through the mill for 13 months!  I feel a little awful now as there are quite a few people in a similar boat and having coped with it a lot longer than me. I'm not usually ill and don't suffer from regular headaches so I feel like a fish out of water with all these symptoms manifesting themselves!  I'm appreciative of your advice and I'll check the forum out on Facebook.  I do hope you find some resolution soon and thank you for your advice. x
  • Posted

Have they looked into it possibly being inter-cranial hypertension? 

I recently had my eyes checked due to blurred vision and they found swollen optic nerves. I also have a constant headache/migraine and have done for several months now. The hospital did all the scans, and as a last result a lumbar puncture to test for inter-cranial hypertension. If you haven't already looked into this, I would do so!

• Posted

Hi Jessica, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  At present I haven't had too many checks.  The GPs have labelled me with Migraine and just keep on giving me various medications.  So far I've had bloods taken and a CT Scan (all come back OK).  It could be something I need to consider and will certainly discuss with the consultant. Do you have any other symptoms e.g. neck pain/stabbing pains in eyes/head?  My heart goes out to you as it must be difficult to cope with and I truly hope your condition improves soon.  Best wishes to you. 
    • Posted

Hi Jessica

There is treatment called Upper Cervical Care which is a gentle chiropractic treatment which will alleviate your headaches and probably your nerve problem with your eyes.  it works on the nerves as apposed to the regular chiropractic which I don't like.  I am going myself for this treatment as soon as I can get in.  

I hope you find the solution.  we have to stay hopeful.  smile

Alicia

• Posted

Hi Jules

I am a migraine sufferer for 30 years now.  horrible.  I know.  I have had migraine with Aura which sounds similar with what you are talking about WITHOUT the pain in your arm.  the dizziness comes along with the migraine usually, did your vision in your one eye have lines in it or zig zag, spots so much that you couldn't see?  if so, that is the migraine also

I have had it in both eyes, and I lost my vision which freaked me out.  it usually occurs in one eye though. and lasts for a bit to warn you that you are having a migraine.  because you have high blood pressure could be causing your other symptoms.  as well.  hbp can cause pressure in your eyes which could make them blurry.  etc...  do you have diabetes?  

seeing a Neurologist is the first step. a good one.  if he says migraine with aura, you need a cat scan almost every time you have these episodes to rule out stroke, not to scare you.  your diet is very important if you have migraines.  cut out onions, garlic, sorry i know, cheese, dairy actually, red wine, chocolate,  nuts,  these things will bring on Aura if you have a migraine,  beside the weather pressure.  but they will get better if you curb your diet.  I had alot more aura before I knew what was causing them.  they scare the hell out of you, I know...neurologist no. 1 then diet, the fibromyalgia, sounds like...not the end of the world.  I have it too. were you in a car accident?  ever?  whiplash?  that can cause fibromyalgia.  or if you've fallen or had any trauma.  sounds crazy but it matters.

I take a triptan for my migraines, and alot of baths in epsom salts for shoulder, neck pain,  is your jaw bothering you?  could be causing your inner ear to feel full.

Anytime you want to chat,

Alicia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.