Migraine effects related to shingles?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have never had migraine headaches, however I have has many episodes of the aura - the jagged arcs or circles forming in my vision but not through the eyes, if that makes sense.  Four years ago I suffered an attack of shingles (which is caused by chickenpox)  causing me much pain in the right side of the head.   I got over the shingles attack but the side effects of the disease had an unexpected benefit to me - the auras dissapeared!  I still got random attacks of shinges pain over the years.  Visiting my GP last week he mentioned the chickenpox vax and if I would have the injection.  I agreed.  That night I has a strong reaction and bad shingles pain in my head.  Yesterday something happened to me that was entirely unexpected.  The aura returned after four years being free of it!  Is there a link to the disease?  Have the reminents of the virus in my head been blocking the auras?  Anybody have a comment on this?   Hoping for good health for you all, Grazey.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I seem to have more trouble with vestibular migraines since I had the shingles vaccine and that was back in November 2013. I always wondered if that shot set off something that caused me to have symptoms more often. You know that it is a live virus type vaccine. Perhaps the live virus, even though weakened, did damage in some way? I'm interested to see if anyone else on this website has a similar issue with side effects of this sort from the shingles vaccine.

• Posted

Hello grazed

I have migraines myself. I get the auras and the disabling pains, but I get them seperatley. I have now got a left eye pupil that enlarges from time to time aswell.

I have been to the eye hospital, and they found nothing wrong with it thank god!

The term name they have for it is anisacoria. Basically it is when the eye is out of focus with the other one! It is very annoying at times though. I get it more when I'm tired. I have a neurology appointment the end of June at the hospital, so hopefully they will give me the all clear. I got this condition and my migraines got worse, after the death of my sister in march this year. I've had blood tests, recently they all came back ok.

Apart from slightly raised, cholesterol level.

I'm careful now what I eat too.

I'm gradually feeling better, but the eye has other ideas lol..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.