Migraine free for 1 year!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I promised a friend I would write this in the hope it might help somebody else. I suffered both chronic headache daily and Migraine every few weeks for over thirty years, Ofen the headache would decend like a whoosh, as I opened my eyes in the morning, I started life with low blood pressure which over the years has changed to high blodd pressure. My father had a Heart condition in his life time too. I tried everything! Exercise, diet,physio,osteo;Tweenig; Aquapuncture, Yoga, Pilates, cupping,meditation! You name it I tried it. I also used to live on Imigran which, although poisoning my body, kept me functuining as a teacher. I felt I couldnt plan ahead as I never knew how I would be and never left the house without Imigran pills and even an injection if we were going away.I started to medicated for high blood pressure and at first it didnt really alter much, I was on a couple of medications, one being a mild diaretic and the other Ibrasartin. Still suffered terrible tension headaches, then he put me onto Amlodipine and I rapidly started to feel much better. That was last March, I am now nearly at the one year mark and have dared to hope....... 

Not saying this at all will be the soloution for anybody else but just thought I should share ,just in case somebody out there recognises any of these patterns and it might prove helpful.

4 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello judi. I read your post and couldn't believe how similar our stories are. Like you I suffered migraines almost constantly. I took Imigran and Naratriptan. I also suffered with low blood pressure then when I visited the doctor about 2 years ago feeling unwell I discovered I had hypertension. I was prescribed Amlodipine about a year ago and have not had a migraine since. The odd headache, yes but not the debilitating migraines I used to suffer from. What a coincidence judi, I just can't be.ive the similarities in our history. 
    • Posted

Dear Matron, I wondered if others might have had a similar experience, there is really very little about Amiodipine for headache isn't there? My conclusion is that in my case it was to do with blood being  restricted as it was pumped into the heart but I'm not at all scientific! Just know its been an amazing breakthrough for me as I had continuous headache and now I hardly ever get even a hint of one!
    • Posted

Hi judi. My husband at first said it must have been my hypertension but that's impossible because I used to have low blood pressure for years. I think I will now do a little bit of research. It will be interyto see if anyone else on this forum has also had a similar experience 
  • Posted

Hi Judi

So glad to hear your good news! I suffer from migraine and vertigo but my blood pressure has always been ok.  It's always good to hear good news like yours, it gives other people hope even if our conditions are a little different.  Carry on being well!

• Posted

Dear Veemae, I hope you find something soon that helps with yours too, thank you for your good wishes. Judi
  • Posted

Hello again judi. I've done a bit of research on the use of anti hypertensives in the prevention of migraines and it is the type of drug that can be prescribed for patients. A lot of the research is American but nevertheless it's pertinent wherever you live. 
    • Posted

Hi Matron, when I researched it I found quite a few people who were being very enthusiastic about this drug who had been put on it even though Hypertension wasn't their main issue. I guess its along the lines of Beta Blockers working for some people. It is probably worth others considering it, nothing ventured nothing gained. I was two days away from starting Botox treatment when my headaches stopped! 
  • Posted

hi - i'm so pleased you have found the solution to your migraines - it gives me great hope - i too have tried loads of things for almost daily migraine - and live on Imigran (which is the only thing that works). I have just started magnesium glyciante - did you ever try that? I dont have low blood pressure but have underactive thyroid - i will research Amlodipine and see if that could help me.
    • Posted

Hi Carole, I am so sorry to hear of your ongoing migraines., I really do know what that is like because in one form or another I had them for over thirty years. I always felt it was like a jigsaw with a piece missing and that one day if I was lucky, I would find the solution. I guess what I'm saying is, in my case it was the low turning to high blood pressure finally being treated with this drug that relaxed the pressure to the heart slightly and that was enough to stop them pretty much dead. So keep on trying new things , investigate all new leads and lets hope you find your missing piece soon. Very Best Wishes, Judi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.