Migraine headaches

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies, I'm new to this site. Like most of you I'm really struggling with symptoms of perimenopause. Does anyone have any good tips on how to cope with headaches. For the past year I have suffered with migraine and headaches which I am now struggling to cope with. For the past three weeks it has got to the stage where I am having a headache every day. My doctor has assured me it's my fluctuating hormone levels. I can't take HRT because I have migraine auras. It's at the point now were it's really affecting my life. I gave my job up last year because I was taking so much time off and felt so drained and depressed. Has any taken any supplements that have helped. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanne. I also get really bad headaches and have done for a number of years😞so completely understand how debilitating they are. I also had to give up my job as I couldn't continue anymore. I also have problems with dizziness and TMJ. Don't know if it's all connected but it's a coincidence this all happens in my late 40s. I don't know of any supplements to help,maybe one of the other ladies will, but I'm trying keeping sugar intake down at the moment so I'll let you know how that goes. A head massage helps mine. I have enlisted the help of my daughter who is great. Also physio helped mine, sometimes it is a problem with the neck. Obviously there a cost involved with that so not always an option. I hope you find some relief soon. Xx
  • Posted

Hi mooma, I also suffer from dizziness. I'm 52 and some days I don't recognise myself anymore. I can cope with all the other symptoms of peri menopause, my children have learnt to ignore my sudden episodes of crying for no reason but i struggle on a daily basis with headaches. I can't seem to plan anything because I don't know how I'm going to be. Thanks for your reply, I might try cutting my intake of sugar, I do eat rather a lot of sweet things smile
  • Posted

I can relate exactly to what you are saying. It is so hard trying to have a normal life when you can't plan things in advance. I also never know if it will be a good day or bad day. I'm just looking in a good book I've been reading on menopause. It suggests cutting down on sugar, drinking lots of water, checking iron levels, lots of sleep, reducing use of air fresheners, checking thyroid function, blood pressure. Sorry, it's a bit of a list but you never know you might find the magic solution amongst these! If you find a cure please be sure to share it. In the meantime, keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.ps. One other thing that was suggested to me was checking magnesium levels xx lots online about magnesium.
  • Posted

To joanne and mooma. i too felt the same way as you both were as i was having 3 day bad headaches sometimes migraine headaches or just a tension headache nearly every day until i decided to give up caffeine and cheese. i don't know if this is the reason my headaches have significantly reduced but i'm sticking to it as i don't want them back, i too nearly gave up my job cos i'm at a desk on computer most of the day running an office and as you can imagine it was hell when i had a bad, bad headache, i also had the lights in my office changed. I really don't the answer but for me i think this has helped. I had to try something cos all my GP would say was yes some peri menopausal women do get headaches. (so helpful as usual sad ). You mention sugar, i have had to cut down on sugar as i am hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) but i didn't relate the headaches with sugar. mooma your right about drinking lots of water too. I've been taking magnesium tablets for 18 months now .

Hope these tips may help you. take care ladies its a horrid time for us x

• Posted

Thanks anxious face, I'll give the cheese thing a try. Don't really have much caffeine so don't think its that. Docs don't realise how debilitating it is. Still, I won't give up looking for the thing that helps.xx
  • Posted

Thanks ladies, all this is really helpful and it' helps to know we are not on our own. Doctors don't have a clue how this stage in our life's can be so bad. My life has changed, even my driving is affected to some degree because I'm afraid of having a migraine aura whilst driving, I have so many now and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to them because my periods are so irregular. Take care, and let's stay positive smile
  • Posted

Yes Joanne, we have to look on the bright side and keep looking for things to help. I can't drive either , too dizzy at the moments. I live in a village so it's so restrictive. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel. I'm having quite a dizzy day today, period started this morning😢and I burst into tears because I dropped a yogurt! Would you believe it? Waiting to see if this period will be something of nothing or full on. Finding I can't focus well today either. Eyes feel fuzzy as does my head generally. Keep smiling😊xx
  • Posted

sounds like your headaches are migraines, get SPECIFIC migraine drugs, normal headache stuff doesnt work except masking the pain briefly. I have regular migraines, the proper drugs work immediately if you take them as soon as symptoms appear and I cant sing their praises high enough they are a godsend and have changed my life after years of just taking high doses of codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofun combined. Ask your doctor if you can try migraine pills, if they work on your headaches then they are definitely migraines as they wont work for normal headaches.

as to the perimenopause questions, I am 47 and havent had a period for 2  months though I get the usual sypmtoms of sore boobs and stomach pain. However something else I get which I would love to know if it is normal is that I cannot stop thinking about sex! I started a  new relationship just after christmas afte 7 years resolutely single after a bad breakup and thought it was just the presence of a man after such a drought, but it just doesnt seem normal! The only thing I read is a lack of interest in sex and I am the opposite.....any help appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.