Migraine? Or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all! I’m so thankful these forums exist.

A bit of background. I would describe myself as a hypochondriac who also happens to be considered chronically ill. Always a sick kid, heart murmur, and chronic Lyme disease for the last 5 years. Lots of symptoms and complications from that - and also, a lifelong headache sufferer.

Because of the way I am, I usually give myself a month of a symptom before I address it, to ensure I’m not biting the bullet. But this headache feel different...

For a week, and out of nowhere, I have had what I can describe as a head pain on the top of my head - left side. It feels like a mix of sporadic ice-pick with tension/pressure the rest of the time. Unlike my most regular headaches, this is very centralized to that spot, at times ranging to my left temple and behind eye. Usually ibuprofen does the trick first time for me, but so far the only help is Aleve, and it wears off and returns after about 4 hours. I do suffer from stiff neck due to Lyme, so I often feel like my headaches could be tension related, spread from neck. But my neck had been fine when this started. It feels as if it runs up the back straight to the top of my head where it culminates and back down to my eye, and with one good crack of the neck, I’d feel relief! And yet, my normal neck relief strategies do not help.

Naturally, I’ve consulted Dr Google and he thinks it’s a brain tumor. No other neurologist symptoms at this time.

Any insight? Advice? THANK YOU!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hiya momotree as someone who has struggled with various types of headaches and migraines I would say this sounds most like occipital neuralgia.

Somr key features of migraines are nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound and the pain is generally described as more of an intense throbbing pain than a sharp ice pick pain.

The pain of occipital neuralgia which starts at the base of neck where your occipital nerve is located wraps over your head and behind your eye and ear. It is more of a sharp stabbing pain and i find that cracking my neck would get me relief but my neuro advised neck stretches which help loosen my neck.

The thing that helps me more than anything for the pain are microwaveable heatpads.

I definitely suggest you see a doctor about your headaches especially if there has been a change in what you are used to.

Also, if you need glasses do you need an eye test? If so you might want to go before you go to the doctors as the doctor will most likely ask if your eye test is up to date.

Hope this helps and I hope you get some answers soon

Rachael

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.