Migraine or stomach flu?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Three days ago I started getting a dull pain in my abdomen (mostly the upper part but it sort of spread across my whole tummy) and my back. I have IBS so assumed it was related to that.

The next day the pain was still there, intermittently, but every few hours I'd feel it. I went out to eat and had a few alcoholic drinks before I started feeling really exhausted and felt I was getting a headache. Got the bus home, took some ibuprofen, brushed my teeth and went straight to bed.

I woke up at about 5am with heartburn, nausea, the same headache and now a neck ache as well. I slept on and off until 10am. I called into work to say I wasn't feeling well enough to come in and spent the rest of the day in bed napping. The headache would go after taking painkillers but come right back again once they wore off. Neck ache was consistent. I also started my period and decided that maybe this was a hormonal related migraine since I am prone to migraines. I had no appetite all day and didn't eat anything until about 11pm when I woke up after having napped and had some pitta bread with hummus so I could take some more painkillers. My body felt weak and shaky, still had stomach pains (which did not feel like period cramps), a stiff neck and I was getting cold chills and hot flashes. I have experienced a migraine like this once but the symptoms only lasted a few hours and my head hurt a lot more. 

Today I feel pretty much the same. My headache has been on and off all day, getting quite bad at times. I feel weak, achey, dizzy and am experiencing cold chills and now diarrhoea. I don't know if I have a fever. I ate some porridge but had diarrhoea almost straight after eating it. I've been trying to drink water but I just don't feel like it. Is this a bad migraine + being on my period or could it be a stomach bug of some sort? I have never experienced these kinds of symptoms in relation to a migraine for this length of time, however I also haven't thrown up and don't feel too nauseous so I'm not sure if it's a stomach bug.  

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Keep drinking water! But migraines can go on 4-72 hours! How are you doing now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.