migraine query, question on light sensitivity

Posted , 4 users are following.

so I'm 15 years old and have been suffering from migraine from age 11. In the past two years my migraines have became very chronic and I am on preventative meds. I have migraine associated vertigo with triggers such as movement, smells and light. Now, down to my question! So last night I was attending my first teenage disco which I was very worried about considering the strobe lighting so I took a prescription tablet given for treating acute migraine as it happened as a precautionary and I was fine during the disco but today and right now I am experiencing a full blown chronic migraine and I am just wondering would it have been the lighting last night that has brought it on? Can a migraine manifest as the tablet wore off ? Or may it just a random attack? Any feedback would be great as it will help me in deciding in future whether or not to attend these sorts of things. Thank You.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

Well you are asking a very technical question, but in my experience, although I havent been to a teen disco lately!  It can quite easily bring a migraine on the next day,  Triggers to migraines are wide and varied and although you was fine during the disco, you had delayed onset probably due to the tablet you took prior to going.

What a pain causing it while you want to have fun!

Good luck Lauren, maybe your neurologist can find a sollution for you

• Posted

Hi Lauren

I too suffer from from light sensitivity and like yourself, a full blown migraine can occur with me the following day or later during the day - I have similar symptoms with my chronic pain - If i 'over do it' I can suffer the following day.  However it may be worth having a word with your neurologist as been suggested.  Maybe another medication could be looked as because you don't want this happening everytime you go out.

Take care and book that appoitment with your GP or, phone the neurologists secretary and explain the situation.  Good luck.  Claire 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Claire, I will remember that in future! Always interesting when someone shares similar symptoms !!
  • Posted

Hi Lauren,

I'm also a sufferer.  I have light and sound sensitivities along with disorientation and dizziness.  I'd agree with the fact that you taking the tablet kept it at bay. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.