Migraine - Rebound

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, after some advise, snce 2014 I suffer daily migraines, tried all alternative therapies/ medication ..

I take Naratriptan, daily Dr say's I'm suffering from rebounds possibly 

I've tried twice weanig off, cannot withstand the pain, I asked Dr for support, none offered

I've had a Steriod Injection, no difference

now the Dr wants to limit the Triptan, as you can imagine the only pain relief, I get I get more anxious 

Surley it is my right to have medication if it help's for now, until they offer support ??

I went on holiday first time in 2 years, the Dr refused to give me extra, in case I needed, with weekend surgery closed and 2 day's for prescriptions to be processesd, I am stressed..

No one wants to take medication, unless they have too .

Please advise  

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't know how to edit my comment above??!

DOCTORS in the UK are hesitant to presecibe too many triptans, as they expensive for the surgery...

• Posted

You can get rebound headaches from Triptans.  As I said in my previous reply I saw two Neurologists about mine.  The first took me off everything for 6 months and then said if I knew the pain was going to get to 10 to go ahead and take the Triptan.  The number I took increased and although I emailed and asked him if there was a downside to taking 15-20 a month he didn't reply and I lost faith in him.  My GP referred me to another guy and he was extremely unsympathetic, made me feel like I was a moron and said I was getting rebounds due to the Triptans.  Had to stop everything, again cold turkey.  Now I am extremely careful and will not go through withdrawal for a third time.  It does mean I don't always take the meds when I need to but it is way better than having nothing for months to clean out my system.

• Posted

Shaheen, according to my doctors, as long as your body has pain and needs pain medication you can neither get rebound headaches or become addicted to pain medication. I have had the same migraine since 4/2021. Hang in and God bless.
    • Posted

I love that answer. I'd love it even better if I felt better and didn't need med and pain killers daily??

• Posted

Awww, bless you, poor thing, unless they suffer themselves, people don't get it,(not that I want anyone to suffer), I just say to them I could buy shoes for what I spend on medication, it's not a choice, I need the medication.

I think I need to change Dr's

Thank you for replying

• Posted

Thank you, as I lay hear crying my eyes out. And praying. Your words were perfect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.