Migraine that feels like an anxiety attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've been suffering from migraines for about 20 years. I also have an anxiety disorder/panic disorder. I know that these are comorbid conditions.

However, I've recently noticed that my migraines have changed. I get less pain, but I feel like I'm on the verge of an anxietyor panic attack. My palms will get really sweaty, I have a very fast heartbeat, I get nauseated, I have a surge of adrenaline, and my hands shake.

I take Topamax and Maxalt for the migraines and Zoloft and Valium for my anxiety/panic disorder.

My psychiatrist has recently suggested I do an intensive outpatient hospitalization for my anxiety. It appears to be helping, but when I get a migraine all of my anxiety symptoms just rush back. When I take 100mg of Maxalt the symptoms lessen greatly or go away all together. Now I'm just confused. Anxiety attack or migraine?

Has anyone experienced something like this?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes I used to experience migraine in this way too. Our mind and body are so intrinsically linked that we can experience anxiety as a physical symptom and vice versa. It is only by treating our mind and body as one whole single entity that we can heal. After trying many different medications and treatments to no avail, and being in a state of utter desperation, I stumbled upon an article about a woman who cured her migraines using the Curable programme for chronic pain. I went on the website, did some research and decided to download the App they have and sign up. I was highly sceptical, but it was the best thing I ever did for myself. It is like a mind body retraining programme, you only need to do 10 minutes a day to start healing. Within 2 weeks my depression lifted, after about a month my extreme anxiety had greatly diminished, and along with it my daily migraines went too. After years of suffering I got my life back. There is a lovely facebook support group too. I honestly can't recommend it highly enough, I wish all chronic pain and anxiety sufferers could know about it. I hope this helps xx

• Posted

Hi Depaulblue,

My migraines have changed over the years as well. They used to include right sided pain and visual auras and leave me down and out for an hour or two. In the past few years the visual auras have gone but now my migraines feel like an all over body flu-rapid heartbeat, chills, sweating, nausea, extreme lethargy. Worst of all is now I am usually down and out for a full day or sometimes even two. They are awful. Sometimes the fatigue and dizziness linger for almost a week afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.