Migraine triggered by street lights

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone get migraine after being out at night from street lights and passing headlights of traffic?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi babs

Yes i can quiet quickly start to get a M from head lights especially the flickering bikes. I have two pairs of shades one for daytime and one pair for night. Really helps me, i just experimented with different tints but it helps.

• Posted

My glasses have light reflective coating but doesn't help with the flickering. We have orange streetlights in some streets which are worse.

• Posted

It sounds more like an eye problem to me Babs like photophobia - sensitivity to light - bringing on the migraine. I don't know of course for sure but I have photophobia with my migraine sometimes and it can trigger them. 

• Posted

My main problem when driving is the flickering on a tree lined road when the sun is shining through. Ok to avoid when a passenger but difficult to avoid whilst driving.
  • Posted

I do get the same problem in shopping centres and big stores which I try to avoid, but with winter approaching and darkness getting earlier I think I will need to hibernate!.
  • Posted

Hi.  I don't have migraines but my 22 year old daughter does.  She has never complained about street lights, etc. but she has complained about her job.  She is a student and also (had) a part time job in a clothing store.  She had worked for the same company for 3 years.  In her last year she changed stores.  She complained about the lights in the store.  She simply told me "the lights give me headaches"  She stopped working there and although still has migraines they don't seem to be as frequent.

• Posted

When I worked in stores I had to take migraine tablets every day.
    • Posted

yes you see Babs not convinced that is not simple migraine. Taking migraine releif every day....it's not normal migraine. x

• Posted

I haven't been able to take migraine meds for four years now, I am currently med free.

• Posted

My daughter no longer works in the store.  She did not take pills every day.  While she already knew she had migraines (like her father used to) she did go to a doctor for help.  The only thing (as far as I know) they did was confirm that she was a victim of migraines and gave her tablets which she does not take every day.

What about the types of food you eat or trying magnesium?  Don't know if there is any truth in those 2 things, I've just read about them.

• Posted

That was a few years ago. I have chronic migraine with aura. They are usually triggered by the environment, smells lights, weather conditions etc. No meds any more.
    • Posted

Fluorescent lights are a big trigger. And I do take something almost everyday. My Dr's are aware, but can't seem to resolve issue. Including Botox, I've tried everything except the ear piercing that's new. I wait for the migraine to start before taking anything, buts it's almost everyday. Berametric pressure, foods, preventative meds, chiro, physical therapy, natural supplants like magnesium, I've tried it all. At some point it comes to quality of life. Please don't judge those who are taking daily medicine. We really don't want it that way.

• Posted

Hi Betsy, taking daily meds was my lifeline that allowed me to live a somewhat normal life. Since I had to stop I have become a prisoner to my health. Hopefully one day soon something safe will cone on the market . X
    • Posted

When I told my GP that I was worried about the amount of sumatriptan I was taking, he said it was down to the quality of life. Until a cure is found for migraines we can only take or do what works for us as individuals
    • Posted

Sumatriptan was what triggered my Long Qt episode hence the reason I cant get medication.
    • Posted

I'm sorry, I know what Sumatriptan is cause I looked it up but I don't understand the Qt episode-or why you can't get meds.

• Posted

If you google Long Qt you will see that it can be triggered by medication as well as a genetic condition. After diagnosis therevis a long list of meds that are no longer prescribed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.