Migraine with aura

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, not sure if this has been posted before but I'm a 26 year old woman and I began having migraines about 7 years ago, but had my first aura along with migraine 3 years ago. Since then, I have had at least one a month, sometimes multiple in a week. I go through periods where I won't have them for weeks. Although I have tried to keep a diary, I can never determine any specific triggers. What I was wanting to know is what some of your triggers are? And what OTC medications you use that have had the quickest and best results.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My biggest trigger is Monosodium Glutamate (MSG for short), it's a food additive found in a lot of things. Doritos, a lot of food places, most seasonings (I know Mccormicks off hand does not have it, but I would still check the label when buying).

My second food trigger is red grape juice and grapes. I can't remember the item found in these, you could look up and find it. But it is also found in aged cheeses (like parmesan).

My other non food triggers are weather changes- pressure fronts affect me alot. And high stress.

• Posted

Hello Tiffany and Alecia

My triggers seem to be stress...barometer pressure changes.....if I skip a meal......or become dehydrated I believe are some.  Also my migraines have been less after going on a Paleo diet.  Eating grass fed meats, wild caught seafood like salmon, organic vegetables and some fruits....staying away from processed foods all seem to have made a difference for minimal migraines. Avoiding too much chocolate and coffe is important for some.   I used to take Excedrine Migraine on the onset of a migraine for over the counter which worked well.  Since I had to be under doctors care he prescribed Rizatriptan 10 mg ODT to take on the onset of migraine and works great for me.  The Excedrine over the counter works well but it does have caffeine in it I believe.  Sometimes if I took it at night it kept me awake.....but it  took care of the migraine which was great. Most important is to take meds when you begin to feel headache coming on!! 

I hope this helps

wendy

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

I ahve been getting migraine with aura for about 15 years now and have realised my most powerful triggers are sleep pattern and stress! If I have an irregular sleep pattern or am very tired, I can predict one coming on (similar with stress!)

No real food ones for me...

Regards to OTC med. I have always used migralieve, I find if i can take them at the onset they are great for the nausea, the headache is going to happen anyway so just try get to the dark room ASAP! Hope this helps somewhat.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback! I have never tried the OTC meds you're referring to so I will definitely give it a try. I will try to keep track of my sleep patterns as well, and see if I find any times where that has affected my headaches.

• Posted

i have two specific ones that trigger migraines. My sleep whether too much or too little and my stress level. I use Excedrin Migraine but lately that has not helped me. I have had migraines since I was 17. So going on almost 25 years for me.
    • Posted

Hi Julie

if the over the counter Excedrine doesn't work anymore ask doctor for Rizatriptan 10mg and take it  on the onset of headache.  Works very well.

wendy

• Posted

I used to experience a migraine with aura once a year. I recently started my own business & I am now experiencing them twice a week. It is very scary sad I have seen different eye Dr.'s and they both found nothing. I have an appointment with a Neuro at the end of the month. I am scared there is something wrong. I also have severe anxiety. My eye dr recommended an aspirin daily. It is supposed to help stop the migraines from occuring.

• Posted

Hi Tracey

Stress and anxiety sure can bring these migraines on !  Starting your own business is enough to bring on stress...producing anxiety and migraine.  Make sure you excersize and eat right and drink a lot of water and getting enough sleep.  Breathe and think positive...you will be fine.  If you feel a migraine coming on take a Rizatriptan 10mg ODT on the onset (very important). IF possible rest for a bit.  Please give these things a try.  You can do this Tracey......I've been there.

keep us posted.....we are all here for each other.

Best

wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.