Migraine with aura

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I have had migraines with aura for about 10 years now I can go months even a year without 1 then the last few months I have had quite a few.

I suffer with health anxiety and this is making my life hell I can't stop worrying about going blind. I have left work I am too scared to drive I really believe it means something serious please anyone have them who can help to calm me down and stop me worrying x thank you

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

You poor thing, I  also have had the same classical migraines with only the aura. They are scary and yes I get you are scared you will go blind, but you won’t, they always pass. I have had them for over 20 years and also was fearful of going blind but it won’t happen. Have you been to your doctor to get reassurance ? 

• Posted

I have been docs in the past they just say migrain I just sit waiting thinking is it gonna happen again in so scared I'm just ruining my life I just sit and worry and cry x

• Posted

Hi Kimberley, Auras are scary and they always pass. I understand your fears as I get hemiplegic migraines which mimic strokes, and have made my neurologist prove to me that I havent had one or a tia, so have had all the tests. Definitely speak to your doctor to put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Aww what a shame for you that must be awful there so scary I just can't stop worrying it's gonna happen again and I'm going b blind I'm tuning my life by worrying and crying all the time x

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, I really feel for you, have you seen an optician? they may be able to put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Yea I have he said my eyes are fine but I just can't settle and stop worrying x

• Posted

Opticians can find out alot. What exactly happens to your eyes when you experience auras? I get severe photophobia with mine, I also get flashes at corner of my eyes, things start moving up and down quickly plus I get moving sensations at side of my eyes. I have migraine glasses and night glasses which help.
    • Posted

Kimberly, are you on any meds? Just asking as mine gave me side effects in my eyes, I know this because since tapering off them my photophobia which was constant has disappeared.
    • Posted

Hiya it's like my vision goes so if I'm looking at someone I can only see half of there face. Or if I'm reading can only see half the word. I feel like I can't forget about them like I want be sick with nerves

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, what you have described sounds exactly like migraines, my mum gets these, infact she had this last night, I immediately gave her my migraine glasses and an ice pack. She kept asking me to explain what I could see when looking at people on tv , she said she could only see one person at a time i couldnt understand what she meant. She has described alot of what you described, shes had these for over 50 years and her eyes are fine, just needs reading glasses
  • Posted

Dear kimberly

So sorry you have been suffering with these. I am 54 and I never ever suffered a migraine and then when I reached 51 I started getting silent migraines (just the auras) When they first happened I wondered what was happening! They eased off for a couple of years but came back last year and I have been having them monthly. I always get abit unsettled when they happen. I had a mri (my request) the neurologist didnt seem that concerened and mri all fine. Last month was the first month I didnt have any but Im always wondering when the next episode will start x

• Posted

Thank you for your message they are so scary I can't settle I just got up and I'm just sitting here feeling a nerves reck feel like I want b sick. Like someone has told me something really bad is going happen to me that's how bad I feel with my nerves I can't cope with loving like this anymore x

• Posted

Hi Kimberly, I have had migraines with aura since 1998, they have changed over the years...I know EXACTLY what you are going through, within the last year I had two incidents where I lost my vision,(although it was scary it only lasted for a short while...try to remember it is a side effect) if your Dr. has done proper tests(like an MRI) and you are diagnosed with Migraine, it should reassure you, a visual aura is scary but doesnt mean you will have vision loss EVER(even if you did, Migraine vision loss is from dilated blood vessels which CAUSE Migraine & once they constrict vision returns, I have NEVER heard of a case of PERMANENT vision loss from Migraine) ...the absolute best thing you can do is try to find a SOURCE/TRIGGER for them to AVOID them and if you do get them have PROPER treatment for them...stress can absolutely cause Migraine & anxiety can make symptoms worse...keeping a journal is one way to find triggers, keep in mind weather, lights, foods, stress, noise, strong odors, dyes, medication, sleep issues & etc..etc.. can be triggers, and it differs from person to person, sometimes from headache to headache...I would be happy to share more info & answer questions(I have a lot of facts/tips & done a lot of research) but only if you are up for that ( I dont want to make YOUR issues worse by telling you about MINE & just b/c it happens to OTHERS, you could have TOTALLY different issues, triggers, outcomes)..sometimes going to sleep can be enough to help relieve a Migraine...I sip ice water take Triptan and nausea meds & use ice packs in a cool, quiet, dark room...I also have used anxiety and pain meds, finding a TREATMENT can help with anxiety...I really hope you can get relief and find some peace of mind...Take Care💟

• Posted

Thank you so much. They scare me half to death they really do. .My anxiety is really high. I'm in a constant state of panic thinking will another come on..I'm so scared of going blind..I been opticians and my eyes r fine he said..I just got up and I just feel like I want be sick with nerves I really can't handle feeling this scared anymore x

• Posted

Maybe, try and treat your anxiety separately, with breathing techniques, massage, infact anything that helps with relaxation. CBT is fantastic, I highly recommend it. Anxiety is like a rollercoaster, fear can cause this, feeling anxious can make you more anxious, rational thoughts can turn irrational which is a natural response to anxiety. Its an awful feeling like you are finding out. Try some relaxation techniques.
    • Posted

Thank you I have had cbt in the past which did help. So I may have to go back docs and try and sort something out. I just don't want live in fear anymore

• Posted

Hi Sgt.lindalee

All good advice!  The key is when someone just starts to feel like a headache/migraine is coming on you need to take a triptans ( I take Rizatriptan 10mg ODT) right away don't wait!  And I do the same if able I take the nausua meds and lay down in dark room.....if the headache is not better you can take another triptans two hours after but no more than 2 in 24 hours.  This works so well for me to STOP a migraine from happening.  And yes getting help with ANXIETY is soooo important......thank you for sharing!

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Kimberly

Once you let go of ANXIETY and relieve yourself from stress....you will be fine.!!  Work on that first...you need PEACE.  Focus on pleasant things you enjoy.....keep yourself busy...take walks...enjoy nature......as soon as you feel worry, change your thoughts to something else nice and positive.🌷that is so important.  There as a lot of great advice on here for you....you will not go blind....no worries....positive thoughts.....positive thoughts.  If you are of faith....ask God to help you too.

Take good care dear Kimberly. 

Wendy

• Posted

Yes, Wendy your advice is great too...(taking migraine meds ASAP and not waiting, it can PREVENT a worsening of symptoms) but anxiety & stress is so abundant these days and people DO need to be pro-active...Best Wishes to you💟

• Posted

Great advice Paula...the anxiety can cause so many additional issues, CBT can do wonders for most people...Best Wishes💟

• Posted

Hi

Where do you get help from the CBT.  I could get some help from that as well.  I also have Chronic Urticaria and have to be on low dose of Prednisone which can cause anxiety.  As I shared with Kimberley try to keep herself busy and her mind on positive thoughts....especially when your thoughts go to fear...causing stress.  Are you in the US?

• Posted

Hi Wendy, with regards to negative thoughts the more you try to push them away the worse it can get. What helped me was to let those thoughts in, accept them then tell them to buzz off, I kid you not always makes me smile. Then I focus on all the positives in life, like payday ha! Planning a trip away, my lovely boys, that kind of thing.
    • Posted

Hi Paulafedup

After you tell your negatives to BUZZ of....Good!.....I like all your positives !!    Thank you, I will ask doctor about CBT and will google it in the meantime.  Being able to live with peace and not with anxiety is so freeing and much better for our health and mental health!

have a nice day!

Blessings

wendy

• Posted

Thank you so much Wendy.

I am just in such a state of panic and I just can't pull myself out all that's in my mind is having another migraine aura and it's never going and never been able see again I just can't let it go. I have kids I need b strong bit I can't I'm petrified x

• Posted

Hi Kimberly 🌺

Yes...you can do this!  Breathe...take a deep breath.  Eat well, drink lots of water, get good sleep.  You will be fine...you just have to believe...I have learned through the years that worry just affects our health in a negative way and is a waste of time. I know easier said than done..... I have worried about my health our kids, etc and the only thing it did was stress me out creating health issues.  And all was okay....I spent all that time worrying for nothing.....as my loving husband will say to me.  You are a special Mom to your kids...you will be fine.  I reach out to the Lord and ask for His help for strength.  There is some good advice on this blog for you...we are all here to help you...you are not alone.  Are you in the US?  Sleep well. Get your rest.

Wendy

• Posted

Wendy is right Kimberley you can do this, it is possible! Focus on your kids, teach them how to overcome adversity. What advice would you have given your mum if she was going through this? How would it have made you feel seeing your mum going through what you are? The mind is a powerful tool, use this power to find the strength to help you through this, there is no easy way out, you have to be strong.
    • Posted

Yes Paula...thank you for your words for Kimberly!  She can get through this anxiety....anxiety only brings on medical issues.  Keeping busy and keeping thoughts stress free will Free herself from anxiety and stress she is feeling........and being the mom she needs to be for her kids.....and feeling PEACE.....which she needs. 🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.