Migraine with aura

Posted , 8 users are following.

good afternoon.

I suffer with health anxiety quite bad always fearing the worst always worrying something is wrong with me.

anyway I get migraine with aura I hadn't had 1 in over 5 months then yesterday 1 came on. they scare me to death I panick to the stage where I could be sick.

I have a fear of going blind so when I get the aura it's the worst thing to me.

now all I can think of is what if it comes on again 2 day or what if I get another and it leaves me blind forever I just feel a nerves reck. please someone who has these reply to me and I just need reassurance thank you.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Both my parents and one of my best friends get these!

An aura migraine is nothing to be overly concerned about, even though it is definitely frightening when happening. You're not going to lose sight or have any eye damage from one, just like having a regular head migraine would not damage your brain.

My dad and mom have been getting them for years, my dads first started about 30 years ago. I have never personally experienced one, but I def hope I never do bc I'm sure it would freak me out as well... I also have a bit of a fear of blindness. But just remind yourself they are very common and it will pass, you've had it before and you know what it is. My friend who gets them went to her Dr and he told her to help prevent them try and limit her stress and drink lots of water.

• Posted

I get these as well! I have been suffering with bad anxiety the last 6 months and I experienced migraine auras 3 or 4 times just last week, which was a lot for me as I usually only get them occasionally. They are nothing to worry about but I agree they are very annoying!!! Do you get any pain? I don't, I just get the silver zig zags in front of my eyes and also its hard to see. Not fun but nothing to worry about. I have been getting them off and on for years! Good luck and God bless you!

• Posted

thank you for you reply.

I just can't help but been absolutely terrified of them happening again now I just keep thinking I'm going go blind.

I get it where I can only see half of a word or half of a face I proper freak out I swear all my family and my husband r fed up with me but I'm so scared xx

• Posted

I have had migraines since my teens but the first time it was with aura was 6 years ago when I was pregnant with my second child.

Didn't have an aura migraine for six years until last week when I suddenly had one out of the blue. Just the zigzag, blurry vision. No pain at all.

I have a lot of peri symptoms so I guess it is all due to hormones. I too have health anxiety but the aura was not at all scary for me. I knew from last time that it will just pass nice and easy.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

I have suffered from health anxiety for years and as i get older it gets worse. i have been dealing with opti -migraines for 16 years. No headache just the eye stuff... i have had many over the years. i experience the slight blocked out vision and then the zig zag starts, coming closer and closer making my vision like i was looking thru a kaleidoscope.. then it moves to the top of my eye and gone! they last 20-35 minutes every time.

i fear blindness too and it totally freaked me out. But i am here to tell you, as much as I hate them I have learned to stay calm, breath deep, close my eyes and just wait it out and i am fine and have NOT lost vision from it.

you will be fine!! Hope that reassures you alittle!! Linda

• Posted

Kimberly

I have had migraines with aura's for yrs, it started after the birth of my first child over two decades ago. I was scared too the first time but luckily my mother was familiar with the migraines with aura's as they ran on my maternal grandmother's side of the family. Not a single person ever went blind. I look at the aura as a gift because it always precedes the pain for me so I am able to take what I need to prevent the extreme pain and vomiting that comes if I do not prepare.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly,

I had my first migraine with aura at work two months ago. I had never heard of an aura before, so when it happened I thought I was passing out due to a heavy period. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I had all the tests and was told it was a migraine. After the initial aura, I had another three days later and then two days after the second. So, three in total. I swear I have PTSD since this has happened. I haven't been to work since that day and am on the cusp of losing my job. I have anxiety everyday and am afraid ti go anywhere alone. I went from being an independent professional woman who was thinking about a career change and pursuing a second masters degree, to a couch dwelling housebound loser. This has completely changed my entire life and I am terrified it will happen again. I don't know how people have this and don't live in constant fear. I wish this never happened to me, my life has become so small and I am endlessly depressed.

• Posted

Aww hunny I'm so sorry. I woke up with another 1 this morning I had a panic attack I so feel you lovely I am in a constant fear with them aswel. I had my 1st at 22 now I'm 32 and still get them. technically they ain't dangerous but they are really scary. I feel so bad for you that it's affected you in this way with your job. I was the same years ago wouldn't leave the house always scared ( I still am always scared ) but I'm better now. like i said I had 1 this morning and all day I have been in edge thinking why what if another comes on it's awful it ruins my life 2 but we have to be strong it can't hurt us we need to keep telling ourselves this. I would love chat more to you. are you on Facebook I think we could really help each other. take care lovely xxx

• Posted

How often do you have them? Do you know what your triggers are? I am not on Facebook, but would love to chat!

• Posted

Don't know what triggers them. It varies really I went 4 and half months with none then had to in 4 weeks. I have sent you an inbox on here so could chat there x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.