migraine with aura related to head/neck position...Do I have to have surgery to stop this??!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I get a migraine with aura when I move my head/neck in certain positions, as in looking down or up.  I'm at my wits end with this! I don't want to have neck fusion but nothing is stopping this problem!

Laurie

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Firstly have you had an MRI scan of your head and neck?  This would be a great help.

Also have you tried acupuncture and Botox?  I didnt get on with acupuncture, but for me Botox is working really well.

Let me know if you had the scans

• Posted

Hi personal20. I have had MRI's. Lots of degeneration, spinal stenosis...I tried acupuncture for neck pain, a long time ago, but I think it was before I started having auras from my neck position. I get botox on my forehead areas and it helps with the pain somewhat, but doesn't stop the aura and pain when I look down.  I had botox in other areas of my head a long time ago, before auras. Maybe I should try that again. I thought one time after those shots I had a strange reaction though...strange anxiety feeling for several days!

Laurie

• Posted

Hello Laurier

It sounds like you might have s back problem possibly I say that because I suffer the same things!

I have lower back scoliosis and athritis and bulging disc in my lower spine a lot going on!!

And I get a lot of ne k ache that causes me to have migraines that I have had all my life!

I also feel like screaming some days too!

My dictor told me to try a drug out duloxotine. She told me it can cause sedation in some people!

I'm terrified to take it!

I don't know if anyone else has heard about this drug.

But I usually get prescribe medicated pads for my back put in for 12 hours in the night and take off when I get up.

But I think before I say you have the same problems as me go and get yourself thoroughly checked out okay..

All the best liz😀👍

• Posted

hi Elizabeth,

I have had duloxotine and its ok really.  I couldnt take it for long as I have a sensitive stomach, but it didnt make me sleepy.

Do you use a TENS machine?

• Posted

Wow, Elizabeth! My scoliosis bothers me as much as the migraines but I never connected the two! I will look into the connection and the drug! I see a trainer and massage therapist for the scoliosis and had physical therapy in the past. Do you so anything for yours?

Laurie

• Posted

Hi Laurie

I am the same as I suffer from migraines AND cervical spondylosis in C4,C5 & C6. You'll need an MRI to confirm this condition but it sounds like you may have it.  Have a word with your GP about getting referred for one, you may not need fusion, I have suffered about 15 years and at the moment rely on pain killers.  

As for migraines I have given up, as no-one wants to help me and nothing works.

• Posted

Hi Laurie, l too suffer migraines and have scoliosis. I am seeing a chiropractor regularly and he is teaching me exercises as well as doing traction. Since I've been going my migraines haven't been as bad - certain positions like you describe could set it off. It seems to ease the constant pain and neck pressure. I'm feeling like both things are linked and getting treated.

• Posted

Laurie, this is NOT medical advise and I am not a doctor but this comes from personal experience. I have similar issues with my neck triggering migrains have had the problem for 50+ years ! Have you tried Magnesium Chelate ? comes in tablet form, you can also buy Bio Ceuticals Muscleze cream which you rub on your neck it also contains magnesium. I have found a huge improvement in both neck movement and frequency of migrains.
    • Posted

I have not tried these, but I think I will! Do you get auras?

Laurie

• Posted

Yes, auras, flashing lights, blurred vision so bad its like I have been staring into the sun, vomiting, cant stand light or noise, have spend days in bed not able to move, but this magnesium is really helping. I only got on to Magnesium because I had been on Statins which did awful things and magnesium was recomended for neck cramps and pain, but I have found it has really helped the migrains and have been told that it is now often recomended as a treatment for migrain.
    • Posted

Another thing to look into is CoQ10 it increases circulation and another thing I have now started.
    • Posted

Yep! Take it every day. Also butterbur, omegas, b2.

Laurie

• Posted

Thanks Laurie will look at those as well, but we have a storm building here and normally that is a sure fire trigger for a migraine but nothing so far and this has only been the case since I started magnesium. Interesting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.