Migraines?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all.

I've recently been experiencing lots of weird symptoms but was just yesterday diagnosed with migraines. I want to explain my current headache to you guys to see if you guys believe this is a migraine, cuz I am having a hard time believing the diagnosis (I suffer from health anxiety.)

So, the headache has been happening for about 1.5 weeks now. It is not constant, but it is everyday. I will go minutes without it, and then feel a sharp-ish pain on one side of my head for a minute, and then go minutes without. It switches positions on my head too. Sometimes it's on the left temple, sometimes the right. Sometimes the top of my head.

Does this sound like a migraine?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of this Carlym and you have health anxiety.  From your symptoms, it sounds like you are experiencing trigger points on the network of nerves in the back of the neck and upper trapazoids that feed the migraine paths.  I had experienced this, rather than the neurological (hormone, foods, genenics based migraines).  In other words, my migraine pain in the areas you talk about were caused by more posture mechanics, neck issues - I have problems with my c1, c2,c3 and c4, which is the vertebraes in the neck.  I found relief with working on correcting my posture from a Physical therapists, strenghtening my back muscles, and keeping my shoulders down, rather than inching up towards my shoulders.  Stress from life/work can build in the neck and back, and while they say...keep the stress level down - it sounds so cliche. I found under stressful, or busy situations, I would starts to a headache as my neck, back mechanics would get out of whack.  So after working every day on my good posture, getting my trapaziod mucsles to stop firing 200%, and working on core strength, having good neck mechanics -watching how much time I spend looking 'down' at my cell phone, gentle massage to neck and shoulder, my headaches greatly reduced.  You may find it helpful to look up 'migraine nerve paths' 'C1-C5 neck mechanics'. Here you will see those areas when comprised push on nerves that come up over the (top) of the head, go to the temples, go to the eyebrow, eye socket that can cause migraines to flare up. As you see, my situation was musclular/skeletal, rather than neurological - in the brain.  I hope that helps and if you find yours is more musclular/skeletal - you have more control than neuorlogical.  My nerulogist and primary care dr., missed this and thought it for sure neurlogical, so the musclular/skeletal angle should be looked at further to rule this out.  I found this out on my own and have been working with a neck/spine dr, and my PT...they make a great team.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I actually have been seeing a chiropractor for problems with my C1 and C2. Thanks you so much for your reply
  • Posted

Hi carlym

It does.  There are a variety of migraines but you need to be thoroughly assessed by a neurologist to learn what type and what are your triggers and how to minimise its affect on your daily life.

regards D

• Posted

Thank you for your reply 😊 I did see a neurologist, that's who diagnosed me with the migraines. I am getting an MRI in a few days just to rule anything else out.

Getting the pain only for a minute and then it going away for a few minutes didn't sound like a migraine to me, but thank you for for giving me some insight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.