Migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

My fiancé was diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis at 20 yrs old. Prior to that he had been misdiagnosed with everything under the sun except HH. He's now 57. He's had migraines all his life starting as a child. My question is - is there a correlation between migraines and hemochromatosis? When his headaches started when we got together I realized that when he needed his blood out his headaches would start getting bad. Once the phlebotomy was done, headaches were gone. We're being told that isn't correct, but then how do you explain why they would go away after having blood out? He's being told now that he has chronic, typical migraines and basically to live with it. He has cirrhosis of the liver from all the years of misdiagnoses. He can’t take a lot of OTC meds it’s not good for his liver. Thank you.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you have made a typo but being diagnosed with HH at 20 years old is exceptionally good.  Did he not get treatment from then on?  If so he should not be suffering from cirrhosis of the liver.

If you google "migraine and iron overload" you will find some answers and a lot of people complaining of same.

One research confirms it and another says the jury is still out.

• Posted

Hi I have Hh and suffered from severe migraines for most of my adult life, they stopped when I was in my late fifties. I never connected the migraines with Hh so now I wonder if they were connected.
  • Posted

My Mom has HH, she did phlebotomy a long time, now she has gone yrs w/o symptoms..she got migraines(worse)back then, I get migraines but I get annual bloodwork to check my iron levels to catch it early...excess iron is stored in a lot of different places (Like pituitary gland in brain) but it seems to effect blood volume as well, before phlebotomy my Moms veins would be huge, even picking a scab or scratching herself she would bleed more than normal, her blood pressure also increased...dialation and constriction of blood vessels is what they contribute to migraines, I don't see why it couldn't be a factor...is he done w/phlebotomy? He may do better w/non oral meds...for migraines he can get shots,IV....but Triptan medications work the best, need an RX and see if it is ok b/c of his liver Best Wishes...if you want more about Triggers, Treatments & other things for migraines I'd be happy to tell you more💟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.