Migraines

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I've been newly diagnosed with migraines since January of this year. I would like some feedback and symptoms that all of you with this condition suffer with. The symptoms are sometimes really scary and catch me off guard. I wondered if anyone here exercises and if they do, does it trigger a migraine for you?

Usually mine come on for hormonal reasons and stress. This morning while exercising it was funny because the room randomly decided to spin around for at least a minute straight. I can't help but wonder if that was a sign I was gonna be hit with this migraine.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Faith

sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with migraines . i have been a sufferer since i was 11 years old and im 61 now and still get them regularly. There are a number of factors that can trigger a migraine not sure if you have done any research ,but excercise is one of them that can bring on a migraine hormones, humidity, diet, certain foods, smells, stress are just a few . sometimes people get a warning when they feel a migraine is about to happen they get an aura which is like zig zags in their eyes or sometimes even partial eyesight, i get no aura but just head pain and sometimes pain is so bad i get sickness . if you get the migraines a lot there are preventatives you can take which helps some people but didnt for me. best to discuss with doctor which would be best for you . i take a prescribed pain relief which is for when i get a migraine as normal paracetamol doesnt do it for me . There are many different pain relief medications on market and you just have to find something that suits you but we shouldnt have to suffer ,they can be so debilitating .

good luck

j.s

• Posted

Hi Joyous and Faith,

I had my first migraine about two weeks ago. It started with the zigzag eye disturbance and moved into intense headache, hurt behind eye and even down head behind left ear. I took dramamine, ibuprofen and was so light sensitive so I spent almost two days in the dark.

Since I never had a migraine before, I wasn't sure what had happened. If talking to a doctor, he filled me in (felt a bit stupid). I believe I had my first migraine as I am in perimenopause and have been getting more severe headaches during PMS. This time the migraine came the day I got my period (and it was the shortest period of my life as it lasted one day). In addition, I was very stressed due to my mom's health problems.

My question for you both - I am still left with a swaying, slightly dizzy feeling. I assume it is a postdrome part of the migraine, but I thought it would be over soon. I tried vestibular exercises and BPPV to see if they helped - but not sure. One day I feel better than another.

I just want to retrain my brain to not have this weird feeling and I noticed it is worse with computer work and moving head side to side while walking. I am not bed-ridden and can move around, but want to return to normal. Is that normal for it to take so long?

Thanks!

• Posted

hi jen

i guess when you havent experienced a migraine before it can be a bit frightening especially with the zigzags and vision issues, i dont get any of that or warnings that a migraine is coming i just get the head pain which is normally one sided around the temple area not so much throbbing pain as people report but my pain is sometimes like a knife is in my head. when you read up on migraine it says its a restriction of a blood vessel in the brain which gives the pain. my relief is my zolmatriptan (on prescription ) i take it and then within an hour usually (depending when i take it ) i start to feel better but to sleep is best but afterwards not sure if the tablet makes me dozy or whether its the after effects of the migraine attack but it can make you feel strange for a day after . i sometimes wake up with the migraine and have to wait till i have eaten something before taking my tablet otherwise i am sick but then again the pain is sooo bad i am sick . feeling lightheaded could be an inner ear issue have you had this checked with doctor. i have had migraines since i was 11 and hoped by now i am 61 so post meno they would have stopped but they havent so as you have only just started having them it could be hormonal . if you keep getting them have a chat to doctor have you had blood pressure checked recently?

hope it settles soon

js

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I do take my blood pressure daily and it has been very good. The weird dizziness and swaying I still have the ENT thought might be results from the migraine. He said you can be off kilter for a few weeks. Have you ever heard this? The idea of a vestibular migraine also was mentioned.

Thank you and I hope you avoid migraines this month.

Jen

• Posted

hi jen

glad to hear your blood pressure is ok at least you can rule that out being the cause of the dizziness . i dont normally have any after effects from having a migraine as i say the tablet may be for a day but thats all . but i do know what you mean about the swaying particularly when outside walking you feel like people must notice , i have low blood pressure anyway and so i notice it more i guess, especially when i turn round quick or bend down i have to get up slowly. anyway if your still not happy with the way you feel try and get referred .hope you dont get another migraine this month

js

• Posted

i am hoping that i dont get another one this month too. i plan on seeing a neurologist if i do ans or my dizziness doesn't resolve in a few weeks. thank you for your valuable insight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.