Migraines - think I'm cured at last

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've suffered from debilitating migraines for over 30 years from .  Over that time, my GP and I had tried most preventatives such as sanomigran, atenolol, amitryptiline, topiramax, vitamin B8, co-enzyme Q10, acupuncture, chiropracty.  I'd given up on ever being free of them and was just focusing on managing the pain with painkillers and triptans. 50% of my life was spent in pain and they were a blight on my life. Some days all I could do was lie in bed. At the end of last year, I had a whopper that lasted 10 days and I went back to the docs.  The only thing I hadn't tried was propanol.  Well, miraculously, it seems to have done the trick for me.  Within a couple of days of starting on it (40mg twice a day), my migraines had gone and they haven't come back.  It's been a couple of months now that I've been migraine free and it's bliss to wake up every morning and not be in pain.  I have never felt so well. After so many years of suffering, it's better than winning the lottery.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Great to hear the news, gives rest of us some hope. Did you suffer from dizziness with your migraines? And if so, has propanol helped this too?
  • Posted

I'd love to know if the OP is still taking Propranolol?

I have stopped taking it because it gave me the most awful depression I've ever had.  Nearly back to normal now after a week of not taking it.  Tbh, it's put me off taking drugs completely.  I'm just going to avoid my triggers (PC use and sewing and other close work) and try and be as healthy as possible.

• Posted

I have been taking it for two years but for dystonia although the neuro hoped it would reduce my migraine. I think it helped at first but I've just had the worst month of migraines ever caused by stress. So can't say it helps me anymore migraine wise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.