Migraleve and Nurofen?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Whenever I get a migraine, I often mistake it as a regular headache (until it gradually gets worse, then there’s no mistaking!) I always start with Nurofen but if it develops and I need Migraleve, I end up waiting the 4 hours until the Nurofen is out of my system before taking any. The other day I called two pharmacies to ask if you can take them together, one said yes (just no paracetamol), one said no. For future reference, does anyone know if it is okay/have done it before? Would rather not wait 4 hours if I don’t have to! Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely fine as there is no ibuprofen in migraleve or any other NSAIDS in them x
  • Posted

You can take aspirin and paracetamol together, this is what was recommended by my neurologist, preferably soluble aspirin because it gets into the system quicker, although I use a combined one because most of my migraines start in the middle of the night and it's easier just to take two tablets than have to get up to dissolve the aspirin.

I would say that I never get a regular headache so I always treat mine as a migraine because the pain increases than making it more difficult to treat. Have you tried sumatriptan? because if ordinary over the counter meds don't work this usually works for most people and you can take it with other meds. Good luck.

• Posted

how about a beta blocker propranolol saved my life smile
    • Posted

I can't take beta blockers because I have asthma. I have tried nearly all the different preventatives without success, at the moment I'm med free and dare I say it, I haven't had a migraine for 5 days where I had been getting them nearly every other day. It's bliss to wake up in the morning without a headache, I haven't done or taken anything different, I just came to an agreement with GP to come off of the preventatives and see how I got on. So, watch this space ?

• Posted

Thank thank you for all your suggestions, I’ll look into these! 
  • Posted

Emmy

I always suffered migraines from 23yrs of age it was many years before i was sent to School of Dentistry in one of our hospitals i was made a mouth guard on the NHS so was free. Had to persevere with it for a year every night but was the best thing i ever did..worked just as was told. Nowadays i would take a headache which NO headache pain relief will touch but IMIGRAN/SUMITRIPTAN does work 9 times out 10 at times I need 2 not together 4 hrs apart that usually sorts it. So its still a form of migraine but just not as severe as tgey used to be years ago. Then I had an inhaler it was brilliant but was discontinued Ergotomine it was then i used a really hot rub on my forehead Ralgex it was in stick form so easy applied i would've swiped it avmbout 20 times across my forehead and it over rode the migraine and was easier to cope with.

But Emmyx ask your doc for Imigran you can get it on script also can buy over the counter but it costs £8 for 2 tablets.

Let me know how you get on.

I pray you get help as i did.

• Posted

Emmyx just to make clear the inhaler was many years ago in case you think it was AFTER the Imigran it wasn't as today i still use em when needed.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, I’ll have to ask about that. I’m glad to hear it worked so well for you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.