Mild blepharitis at the moment- recommended treatments to prevent it getting worse?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i was diagnosed with blepharitis a few weeks ago- i also have dry eyes. my eyelashes on one eye in particular have become thinner and are growing weirdly e.g. down, shorter when i normally have thick and long lashes.

at the moment i use hypromellose eye drops for dryness and started using blephaclean wipes for a couple of weeks; the eye drops work and the wipes do comfort my eyes but often cause lashes to loosen. i'm nervous that my eyelashes will become non existent if i don't tackle it early.

i have seen that some people recommend manuka honey or wet ones but i don't want to use wet ones because it sounds like it could be dangerous.

any recommendations would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

You may have infection in your eyelash roots or some sufferers will blame demodex . Whatever it is you need to get rid of it and lots of folks have used wet wipes and say it has helped a lot. Dont use household wipes, but baby wipes are OK. Manuka honey does also seem to be effective but try to get medical grade Manuka or look for the honey with the highest MGO. So many are mixed with ordinary honey but still highly priced.

Keep using the Hypromellose as much as you like. If your lids start to feel sore and dry you can also dip a cotton bud in Vaseline and gently work it along the lid. Best before shutting your eyes to sleep.

I have had this for 15 years.

• Posted

thank you for identifying the type of bleph- i wasn't quite sure as my optician didn't say. have you ever tried tea tree? i forgot to mention it in my original post. also would cocoa Vaseline work or just plain? wow 15 years- i'm 18 and quite distraught to get bleph, optician said i cant wear mascara often. have you had eyelash loss and have they grown back?

thanks so much and apologies for the plethora of questions.

• Edited

I think plain old Vaseline would be better than Cocoa. Try not to wear any eye makeup...it will only irritate your eyelids...you have to be very kind to them now. As I have had this for a long time I was told to use very diluted Baby shampoo . Dip a bud in it and gently work along the eyelid. It doesnt seem to be recommended now and sufferers prefer the Manuka honey treatment or baby wipes. Dont use too many different things...try one thing for a month and if no improvement then try another. No, luckily I didnt lose my lashes, but many do. Try taking Omega 3 capsules 3 times per day, or even better Buckthorn oil capsules. You may find that you get better treatment just by researching the subject and also working your way though all the remedies until you find something that suits you. Try to keep away from screens ie computers and phones as much as possible. This is becoming a big problem all over the world because you dont blink as much when screen watching. Its not easy I know especially if you have to work on computers.Wash your hair with a dandruff shampoo even if you think you havent got dandruff and change your pillowcase twice a week. It all helps. Dont rub your eyes. Keep away from fans, air conditioning, anything that will dry your eyes. I wear very close fitting sunglasses when outdoors.

• Posted

my optician did recommend diluted baby shampoo but it dried my eyelids out, i haven't tried sodium bicarbonate yet either- i am rather anxious about trying anything that could be dangerous. i will keep in mind not to change cleaning methods too often. thank you so much for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.