Mild case of shingles?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it possible to have a mild case of shingles? I went to my Dr & started meds within 72 hours of seeing the rash. It hasn't spread or blistered yet, it's been 2 wks & I've only had mild pain. I haven't had the shingles vacine yet.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Once the rash is over check with your doctor to receive the vaccine. My doctor gave it to me after a breakout and it has lowered the rash and reoccurrence considerably .
    • Posted

I was told I had to wait at least a month after the rash disappears
  • Posted

Yes, this is possible (you lucky dog you!) My husband has had that type four times. Each time we were able to catch it soon enough, so the anti-virals worked to stop the spread of the virus. So, technically, I've never figured out if there IS such a thing as a "mild case", I've wondered that too. But at least in both your cases, catching it early and getting the meds helped you greatly. I wonder if the anti-virals work better for some people than others, who knows. But I'm happy for you.

• Posted

I do consider myself a very lucky dog!  Like you said perhaps some people respond better to the anti-viral meds & starting them early def does help.  Has your husband had the vaccine? My dr gave me a script for the vaccine, just have to wait till the rash goes away to get it.  

Thanks your the reply!

• Posted

No he hasn't had the vaccine yet. I guess he/we don't practice what we preach. But at this point we're both tired of dealing with doctors so we don't feel like adding anymore to our plates. He has other things going on right now health-wise.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your husband has other health issues,  wishing you both well.
  • Posted

Hi Pat,

Fortunately for you, it seems as if you have been spared the worst case scenario. As you started on the Antivirals early, it helped stopped replication of the virus. Also, your immune system was able to help stop the disease from becoming a more virulent process.

If you are younger, without any immunosuppressive diseases or medications, it also significantly lessens the chance for a severe episode. If the location of the rash and or pain is on your head, ie, the Trigeminal Nerve, often the outcome is more severe. (Face, Eye, Ear)

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

You're right I am fortunate to have a mild case, original rash on my lower back, has not spread. 

I'm 66 years young & my Dr. jokes with me that I'm probably one of her only patients that just

take vitamins, no prescribed meds & I'm sure that has helped.

Best of luck to all with singles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.