Mild gastritis, why so much pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had difficulty eating and drinking for around 7 months. Initially I was treated for gastritis with omeprazole with no success. I later saw a gastroentertologist who discovered my gallbladder wasn't working and this was removed 3 weeks ago. The pain on eating did not go away and a few days after the op I had terrible acid, began feeling very sick, completely lost my appetite and was admitted to hospital 9 days ago and put on a high dose of omeprazole and ranitidine. The acid reflux started to settle about 3 days later. I had a ct scan revealing a thickening of the lower oesophagus, followed by an endoscopy yesterday which revealed mild gastritis and a small hiatus hernia. I was discharged lasdt night on the same drug regime as in the hospital. I feel completely exhausted and the pain in my stomach is as bad as ever, its difficult to swallow a mouthful of water without excrutiating pain. The doctors have dismissed mild gastritis as being of no consequence, yet they haven't offered any other explanation for the symptoms, nor have they offered an explanation for the thickening at the base of the oesophagus.I am struggling to eat and weight is rolling off me, I really don't know where to turn. I'm just hoping that the symptoms settle down with the meds in time. If anyone could give me some advice or reassurance. I would be very greatful.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh you poor thing , I have had pain nausea strange taste for 7 months , had colonoscopy & endoscopy 10 days ago all normal have lost a stone in weight only 8stone 3 now . Have taken myself off omemprazole , I think they were adding to the nausea am eating a very limited diet only drinking water green veg every day and taking pepsin gi , think I am a bit better but struggling to maintain my weight . Good luck Debbie 
    • Posted

Hi

Many thanks for replying, it sounds as if you are in a worse state than I am - I'm lucky to have a diagnosis of sorts, its certainly no joke when you know that there is something very wrong but the medical profession has little to offer. My deepest sympathies to you and I hope you get answers and relief soon. Have you tried slippery elm, its supposed to help protect the gastrointestinal tract, and zi believe it is very safe.

Best wishes

Debbie

• Posted

Thankyou I have tried slippery elm and it does help , the problem is I am so run down now I get everything going , I am trying yoga and meditation , let's hope we are all well soon . Best wishes Issy 
    • Posted

I'm also very run down, physically and emotionally, 7 months of this is enough for anyone. I used to do yoga, so I may give it a go too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.