Mild right side pain strikes again...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

A little over 2 years ago now, I started having random pains on the right side of my body. The first time it happened, it was right after I had eaten a mild Italian sausage patty for dinner and it seems more like indigestion than anything else (more in the stomach area - very full feeling like I had drank gallons of water). After that incident, the pains started and my GP figured gallbladder. Told me to go on a low fat diet, gave me omeprazole in case it was an ulcer and scheduled an upper GI with small bowel follow through. That came back fine so he sent me to a GI doc.

The GI doc assumed gallbladder too, but was a little confused as I was also having lower right side abdominal pain (even as low as where my leg meets by body). I always feel perfectly fine when I wake up in the morning, like it's completely gone and won't come back. Then sometime between lunch and dinner, the pain starts. It's never a dibiltating pain by any means, just more of an annoyance than anything. It's better some days, worse others but it's always there. As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter what I eat or what I do, it's always there.

The GI sent me for an Ultrasound (so painful for me!!!) which came back normal and then for a HIDA scan which showed that my gallbladder has an ejection fraction of 98%. By the time I went back for my follow up appointment after the HIDA scan, the pain was gone and I felt like I didn't need to go any further. Though the GI doc did say they would take out my GB if I wanted to since 98% is pretty high.

About a month or so ago, I started having the "pains" again. I had a routine physical scheduled with my GP so I figured I would bring it up to him then. My stools had also become lighter in color so I was convinced it was GB again. Well, he didn't think so. All blood work came back normal besides me having a large vitamin D deficiency. He said that a 98% EF was OK (as long as it was above 35%) though I know I've seen otherwise even on this forum. He told me to eat better, excerize and lose some weight and he scheduled a follow up for a year later.

I know I need to trust myself when I believe it probaby isn't just a weight problem. It went away on it's own last time for some reason but it definitely wasn't because I ate better or lost weight (I definitely didn't lost weight). I AM "obese" and have been for about 8 years - I just haven't been ready/wanted to lose weight until now (so healthy, right?). I just can't imagine that it'll all go away if I lose weight - unless it's something wrong with my fat.

Has anyone heard of or had these "pains"? Like I said, they're not awful by any means. Just annoying and scare the crap out of me because it keeps coming back and I don't know what it is. They happen in my upper right abdomen as well as the lower right abdomen (not really in between). They're moreso in the front, but I've also felt them on the side and a little bit in the back upper side. They feel like they're more on the surface sometimes than actually inside my body. I'm just so confused and am not sure if it's worth the time and money to get it checked out. Although I do feel like it could give me some peace of mind at least if nothing else.

I'd LOVE to be able to believe that I could drop a few pounds and this would go away. I know that there are obviously problems associated with being overweight. I also know there are problem associated with being vitamin D deficient. Hell, wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have kind of similar pain. I use Cabbage Juice and Beet Juice. It works for me. I have three colonoscopy, two ultrasound, one endoscopy and some blood tests. They have not found something yet. I do hope nothing serious there.
  • Posted

Ok just asking is it kidney pain? 
    • Posted

It very well could be. Would I have other symptoms if it was associated with kidneys? Pain/trouble urinating? The GI looked at that a little bit the first time I had these pains and the urinalysis, bloodwork and ultrasound looked fine.
  • Posted

I am having the same problem, I'm having a hysterectomy in two weeks...honestly I don't think this is the entire fix all. This pain is different and like you it doesn't matter what I eat, drink or do. Some days are not bad but some are awful. I feel like its appendix related but all ultra sounds/ test say " normal " I'm on prilosec, Zantac. And now Vit D for " very low D levels" I have no idea what D has to do with this pain...so frustrated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.