Mild small vessel disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

After a recent mri scan of my bran, I have been told that I have non specifics white matter signal changes, likely reflecting mild small vessel disease. Iam 59 years old and terrified that this means I will end up with vascular dementia .   Has anyone else ever had this type of diagnosis that could through any light on this.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Elizabeth what exactly did your doctor say?? I can reassure you that if you end up with vascular dementia you won't know. I know that sounds frivolous but I work in aged care generally with the dementia patients as I'm good with them, and have spent time travelling around homes teaching people how to deal with them. Believe me dementia does not equal stupid by any means.

If the changes are only mild at this stage, what is your cholesterol reading? Have you been checked for diabetes?? This may be a timely warning that something else needs help. Ask your doctor, take a list in and if he will not answer your questions until you are happy find another doctor! Why did you have the MRI in the first place.

• Posted

He told me they would keep an eye on my cholesterol.blood pressure etc. I am already on blood thinners as I have atrial fibralation.  I worked for 21 years as a carer and went to lots of people with different types of dementia.   Some were quite happily unaware and others were distressed and had complete change of character.  I would not put my family through that. I would have to end my life.  I went for a mri because I'd had a couple of blackouts
  • Posted

I had many MRI's of my brain and spine when doctors where trying to decide if I had MS.  Turns out I didn't have it, but they also told me the MRI's showed I have "dirty" appearing white matter.  They have no idea what causes this but said it was nothing to be concerned about and really didn't know what effects it may have or anything.  I have recently been diagnosed with beginning statges of denentia and memory loss.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I’m sorry to hear about your findings, but since you’ve caught it in the early stages I’m sure there are many actions you can take if you consult with the proper medical professionals. I do know of a clinic called Stem Cell of America that specializes in treatments that target Alzheimers and aid in cognitive enhancement. I would suggest checking them out when the time is right. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.