Mild to moderate bilateral osteoarthritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

i had an xray of my hips and told i have Mild to moderate bilateral osteoarthritis ? so that's why my hips hurt riding my motorcycle. i also think i have it in all my joints.

List of most of my health problems

Emphysema

Diabetes type 2

Gallstones

Acid reflux

Cataracts both eyes

High blood pressure

Enlarged prostate

Common bile duct from gallbladder 11m instead of 3m

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Not a medical person, but I think maybe several of the issues may relate to what you have been eating all your life. Also, do you smoke or are you exposed to smoke or other air pollution?

• Posted

I did smoke for 40 years then stopped 5 years ago. and i was thinking it could be the food i eat because it's not the best.

• Posted

Oh, well done you for giving up smoking!

It's too bad registered dietitians are not a prominent part of the health care system as doctors don't know much, except generalities. Good luck!

• Posted

Below are some of my health problems, my lungs have got worse and the doctor has referred me to Pulmonary rehabilitation / ingrowing toe nails on both feet plus Cataract surgery on both eyes. so fun times.

If you have any advice on my osteoarthritis that would be great because all my joints ache and hurt.

Emphysema

Diabetes type 2

Gallstones

Acid reflux

Cataracts both eyes

High blood pressure

Enlarged prostate

Common bile duct from gallbladder 11m instead of 3m

• Posted

I was first diagnosed with OA when I was 40, although I think I had it earlier in my neck. Very early on I learned one should not use drugs like aspirin to treat it. NSAIDS interfere with cartilage renewal. I started taking glucosamine and have taken it with a couple of breaks ever since. I was told by a friend to take more than the recommended dose as I thought it wasn't working. I now am 74, and I take two 1000 mg doses of glucosamine sulfate every day, also B vitamin complex. I think B6 was recommended to me and I thought it better to take a balanced B complex. The glucosamine I take is in capsule, not tablet form and I always have it with a meal. I've read some people find it hard to stomach, but I have never had a problem. Glucosamine is not a painkiller but over time it can help maintain cartilage.

I have a whole raft of physio exercises prescribed for various joints over the years by physiotherapists. I have OA in hands, feet, cervical and lumbar spine, knees, possibly shoulder but that has not been x-rayed. I had an injured knee last year and it was many months and determination, physio, a cheap elastic brace, caution with how I walked, using urban poles (can put weight on them, unlike Nordic walking), keeping knee elevated, applying ice when it was swollen, and then the discovery of flexiseq. This last is a non-medicated lubricant and I believe it has healed my knee enough that I will not need a knee replacement, which was a serious possibility last November. I walk well again, but I do have to be a bit careful not to overdo things, full strength not back yet. Google flexiseq. If you are in the UK you can get it easily. In North America only through big A.

I also now have polymyalgia rheumatica and have to take prednisone. This can also interfere with cartilage renewal but fortunately I manage on a very low dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.