mild uti symptoms during long period

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am 49 years old and have been having prolonged bleeding (21 days) that started with light spotting for 2 weeks and now moderate/heavy bleeding for a week. I feel like I am starting to have mild uti symptoms, almost as if it is right before the onset of UTI. Is this a normal symptom of  peri menopause? If yes can this be regulated by HRT or birth control pills?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've been spotting for nearly 4 months now.  I'm hoping that it is my age, as I'm 56

• Posted

Irregular, light, heavy, short, prolonged ... you name it ... periods are totally normal for perimenopause. As is spotting. It all becomes totally unpredictable. Make sure you don't get anemic with the extreme blood loss. My GP wouldn't let me go on birth control pills after age 40. Uti symptoms should be solved with HRT - local oestrogen cream applied to the vagina is good for this. If you take oestrogen and progesterone HRT tablets it will produce a regular bleed.

• Posted

I've been having similar symptoms for the past 6 months with mid cycle spotting, spotting before and after period also spotting immediately after running. Scared the life out of me. GP thought it's peri but further tests found a fibroid and a polyp and I had a biopsy done to rule things out. I find it really upsetting but this forum is helping me go through it as almost every day I read another story similar to mine.

?I hope you get it sorted xx

• Posted

Yes, aging said that unpredictable bleeding is a symptom of peri (which it is), it is always best to get it checked out with your dr. I had all the very heavy periods with a cycle of anything from 18 days to 60 days and spotting and the dr said it is probably menopause but still sent me for an ultrasound scan, just in case. It was just menopause, but better to be safe than sorry.
    • Posted

'Having said' not ''aging said'!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.