Mildly elevated CK levels. What could this be?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 23 year old male. I had my Creatine Kinase levels checked about 4 months ago which was around 600 U/L. My GP checked it again and results came back yesterday at 466 U/L. They also checked my Vitamin D levels which was at 23. She informed me that that the vitamin d may not be the cause of my elevated CK since she has seen other patients with Vitamin D deficiency worse than mine, yet no CK elevation. The doctors also ordered an ESR, ANA, CBC, CMP, and C reactive protein, all normal. I am concerned because I am having muscle aches, twitches, and fatigue. My left tricep feels uncomfortably tight causing me to stretch it consistently. The muscle twitches seem to be widespread. I also am having breathing and belching issues. I sometimes have episodes where I would belch for 5 minutes straight with an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. Overall, I would say throughout the four months, my symptoms have been constant (don't think they are getting worse).

Any idea what this could be? I've done research and some scary diseases have come up. I am not trying to scare myself into thinking I have any of them, but I do what to know what is going on.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adam has your GP ever said that it could be anxiety based, your numbers are not that high and even something as trivial as a cold could have raised them, as for the muscle twitches do you work out or drink lots of caffeine
    • Posted

Hey Alex,

My GP referred me to an Neurologist and a Rheumatologist because of the elevation. She didn't mention anything about anxiety which I am certain is not the cause of these problems. I do work out maybe 4 to 5 times a week but not too hard. I try to stay away from caffeine.

I read online that the CK values that are not high are still a cause for concern, especially if there are symptoms involved.

• Posted

I have ck levels sometimes of 2500/3000 but I have RA and UC and even basic exercise can raise them and yours are not extremely high.

Your doctor should be advising you that muscle damage from exercise can raise them.

If your still worried please go back and talk them through

• Posted

I am not sure but get a emg and see a neuromuscular neurologist. Regular neurologist dont have the extensive skills with emg. The emg will check for muscle issues. You also may have had a nerve illness but it was so mild you didn't realize it. Like guillan Barre. Muscle twitching is very scary. I had it all over for 7 months had emg it was normal but it took a year for my muscle twitches to calm now I have a few a day. You need anxiety medication because the twitching will drive you nuts almost. Get in to see a neuromuscular neurologist get the emg and see your doctor for some Elavil it helps they may give you klonopin but it is only for short term. Let us know the emg results when you get it. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Adam,

Wondering how you are now? I am in a similar position? Best wishes,

Francesca

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.