Milk arrergy

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 6 month old has recently been diagnosed with allergy to cow's milk and egg whites after reacting to foods when being weaned.  He did not react to my breast milk despite my diet containing dairy.  He was born with hearing loss.  Could the hearing loss be a reaction to the allergy??  If I go dairy free or stop breastfeeding could his hearing improve?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This is strange, did you contact his paediatrician? What did he say? Research has shown that children with cow’s milk allergy experience significantly more ear infections. Recurrent otitis media or severe otitis media with effusion can lead to problems with hearing or hearing loss. Food intolerances affect the body in a variety of ways, which includes the ears, and symptoms include, Tinnitus, ear infections, itchy ears. Tinnitus and ear infections both cause hearing loss.

If your child is allergic to cow’s milk then this can cause an ear infection. And this can re-occur each time your child continues to have milk. If you suspect this might be the case then it’s a good idea to have your child tested for this type of allergy. Children are particularly prone to ear infections which cause inflammation and discharge from the ear and affects their hearing as well. Glue ear can be another cause of ear infections in children and this also impairs their hearing. Many children respond well when these foods are eliminated from their diet. So you may see a difference.

• Posted

I'm so sorry! My son had allergies to all kinds of foods, and he's already outgrown milk and egg...those are fairly commonly outgrown in childhood.  It's great for him that you were giving him breast milk as he was able to tolerate it better (less dairy than milk regardless of your intake and has properties to help baby's immunity). Babies fed either way can have allergies, of course. 

Taking him off of the casein (milk protein) and egg whites to which he is allergic will help his overall health as he won't be reacting to them. If he was getting ear infections, as PP stated, this could reduce or stop those. (My allergic and non-allergic sons each only had one ear infection - it doesn't always go together, but yes, more frequent in allergic children it seems)

However, if your son's hearing loss was detected at birth, it isn't likely caused by any allergy.  Newborn hearing tests are conducted through bone/nerves, not through the outer and middle ear. So, no amount of fluid would affect the result. I'm afraid the kind of loss your son has is likely permanent, unless there is surgical intervention that could help.  You don't say how much hearing is lost, so I'm not sure if it's mild or moderate or severe...

Hugs to you!!  I have a son with several medical issues, including food allergies and it's not easy, but he's very lucky to have you!  You posted two months ago, have you seen any improvement?

• Posted

I think the hearing loss and allergies are unrelated - it was probably wishful thinking that the hearing loss could be cured by avioding dairy foods.  

We've started introducing egg and milk slowly in a graded approach and so far haven't seen any further reactions.  

He is currently undergoing assessment to have cochlear implants for the hearing loss so hopefully progress there too, 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.