Milk thistle; how long will it take to show benefits?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have started taking milk thistle for the neuropathic pain in my arm.  How long should I take it and when wlll I start to see benefits?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking it for 2 months and still no results
    • Posted

Ok, I'll persevere for a couple of months and see what happens.  Thanks.

• Posted

Can I ask if you take Milk Thistle instead of Medication or as well as meds ??

Thanks

• Posted

I only take milk thistle and in between rub Voltorol and aloe vera gel on my arm. It is too early to tell whether I will get any benefits from the milk thistle.  The gels haven’t really helped.

The doctor wanted to try me on antidepressants at low dose but I decided to avoid them because I believe they are highly toxic.

• Posted

Hope everything goes well for you.  At the moment I am open to any natural treatment available so long as it is non invasive.
    • Posted

they would most likely put you on lyrica op cymbalta which do not help for pain
    • Posted

This is the problem and I am glad I body swerved that one!
  • Posted

How much do u take daily? I have taken this for years as a immunity booster - never heard that it helped for nerve pain - which i have in leg/foot as well as post mastectomy...wondering if i should up my dosage?
    • Posted

I had been taking milk thistle twice a day starting from the beginning of this month.  However, I am not sure it did anything for my neuralgia.  Since my pain comes and goes, it is hard to know whether it was in remission because of the milk thistle or whether this was coincidence.  I was still aware of pain at times while on the milk thistle too.  My pain tends to flare up when the weather is cold or damp but when it is dry, the pain goes.  I decided just to stop the milk thistle and accept the pain. I did hear that St John’s Wart  helps pain and that Lipoic acid repairs nerves.  However, I am not sure whether to try this instead because I often find that natural products do nothing for me and prescribed meds give me side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.