Milkthistle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit from taking milkthistle,worried about liver damage.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Read a long way back that milk thistle is not good for those with haemochromatosis and liver damage.

Do you have confirmed liver damage?  If not, if you are having venesections then liver damage should not now occur, unless you are consuming more alcohol that you should be.

Sugar and starchy foods also cause fatty liver, so eliminate them as much as possible to avoid that problem.

• Posted

Thanks Sheryl, haven't been confirmed as having liver damage have scan 27 Dec but I have only just been diagnosed and my consultant looked back through previous blood tests and I have had this problem going back to atleast 2008 and my pre-venesection levels were 2000. So just clutching at straws really for anything that might help.

• Posted

Hello Clare,

I was told not to take anything you havent been told to. Especially herbals as they tend to be not good with HH.

If in doubt ask your doc but mine was adamant. Cut sugar if you can, alchohol completely until you are in maintanence don't eat heme iron at the same meal as non heme. I have been having chicken and rice curry or roast, or white fish paella or fish pie every other day and a vegetarian meal (green veg and fruit is non heme) the alternate day. A Canadian HH cook book told me this. Look up heme and non heme iron it seems to be helping me. Lots of luck.

• Posted

Stay away from milkthistle and liver cleanses.

Best thing for you liver: no drinking, no sugar, no white flour, low sodium. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.