Mind pops

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there I'm getting worried I can be cleaning doing the ironing something boring like thy then all of a sudden a random word I'm not even thinking about pops in my head   From nowhere  and not what I'm thinking about  just for example like leaning tower of piza  something titLly random  and I think woo what's that  about  the more I worry about it the more it seems to happen what causes this  ? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen, I think the mind is very complex and also powerful. I think everyone has random words or thoughts that come into their heads. So, you are ironing and out of the blue "the leaning tower of pizza" comes into you head. And you think why am I thinking about that, something which is totally unrelated to me in any shape or form. It's because you are questioning it In your mind that the thoughts are becoming more intrusive and stronger. you are worrying about your thoughts and thinking to yourself :"I shouldn't be thinking that". Tell yourself it doesn't matter. You it just a harmless thought. Just think it and let it go. Just float, float, float through it. You could be fatigue. Please don't worry. Donna xxx

• Posted

Sorry about random letters x
    • Posted

Thanks Donna its started last year when I was helping care for my dad he was dying I had it then  and after he died for few months I didn't notice it then again recently it's been so so bad and stressing me  I don't even think about anything S such its just a floating word out the blue and I'm like where did that come from . I had a virus a month ago it's left me with an ear imbalance for the last month and that's making me very anxious to. . But lId Wake last night thinking am I losing my mind has everything just got to much . I haven't really grieved properly either as worry about mum my daughters started drinking since my dad died and self harming etc so I'm just drained I think. So I was worried I was losing the plot. Thank you for your reply Hun x 

• Posted

You are perseverating on a word or a phrase, the important thing is if it bothers you that you dedicate time or perseverate on the event of a word popping in your mind. Does it make you anxious or worried that a word/phrase pops in your mind and do you worry about it. The mind is very complex and we associate words with past events or even past thoughts that mean something to us. You can read about "mind pops" online. If the Leaning Tower of Pisa popped into my mind when I was doing something, I know that it is an association of when I was there years ago when I lived in Europe. You may have seen something about the leaning tower on TV or read about it, had a conversation about it, or even thought about it at some time. I know that you were using that as an example, but my point is an example as well. Do you have disturbing thoughts that seem to invade your mind that bother you? Of course, we all do, but the issue is how much it bothers us and how much time we spend on worrying about it. Maybe you were thinking about pizza, just to end on a side note. Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.