Mindful drinking... Possibly

Posted , 10 users are following.

Ok update, Thursday, Friday and Saturday were a total blackout, drank two bottles of wine on the Thursday, 2 bottles on the Friday and 1 bottle plus 3 glasses on the Saturday. However, I knew I had to drive to my boyfriend's house this morning - who lives in Wales, so I had a 1 hour 30 minutes drive. Took my table at 3pm, arrived in Llandudno at 5:30 and didn't have my first drink until 6pm. It is now 10pm and I have only drank one bottle of wine... For me that is an accomplishment in itself, I can normally down a bottle in a hour but I have made it last 4 hours and have actively eaten a meal in between then.

Small scale victory, but today I feel like the Nalmefene worked, I didn't want to drink too much too fast, didn't want to "neck" the wine to make the hangover go. Early days, but perhaps this is the pill finally working. Fingers crossed.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Always the most difficult on days off when we have more time, to contemplate drinking.

Keep at it, I believe the nalmefene/naltrexone medication works from what I have lsitened to, if people use it how it is meant to be and use a little bit of will power.

Those that just pop a pill and think job's a good 'un, are likely to be disappointed.

Good luck.

• Posted

Agree with you RHGB, the willpower needs to be there, it's something I've been lacking in.

I think being at boyfriends, being occupied talking, watching films and eating has staved the drinking a little more than usual.

I can honestly say, normally, I am passed out on the couch when seeing my boyfriend. As usually I've drank too much. (2 bottles of wine on occasion - great company aren't I, being chomatose?!) So even he has noticed a difference with me being upright and holding a coherent conversation. This is the first time I have seen him since taking Nalmefene and I hope present advances in drink reduction will continue.

• Posted

That should be "as usually I drink too much". I am normally knocked out by 10pm, tonight I am happy to watch a film and stay up and spend quality time with my boyfriend without the need to get plastered.

Perhaps I will remember going to bed tonight - I can't remember the last time that actually happened.

• Posted

Its awesome that you are realizing you CAN do this and its also awesome that you and your b/f had a more normal day. I don't know alot about this method because I know I can't personally use it.  Keep going..it seems to be working for YOU.
  • Posted

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too BK, well done.  Stay positive and hopeful.

Pat xx

• Posted

That's really good news, BK! I like that you're working the mindfulness angle. Keep on doing things like that, keeping the glass out of your hand for instance, or keeping the bottle out of sight, maybe make up a technique of your own that disrupts the habit while the Selincro works on the craving. 
  • Posted

That is great news, BK.  I am so pleased for you.

It also gives me hope with the Nalmefene/Selincro route... after my gin blip.

Keep posting your progress.

Good Luck,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi Alon,

I had a massive blip with my wine, but today has sort of proved that I can moderate if I really want to. Maybe it's because I am in company and not drinking on my own? Who knows, but it shows me that the tablet can work if I work with it too.

Hope you're good.

BK XX

• Posted

Not sure if you're like me BK but when I think of any event, night in with partner, night out with friends, I get an instant buzz. Trouble is the buzz is always the thought of "Oo wine". I found eventually with Nalmefene I was able to realise I was actually excited about the night itself.

Every time something was planned I thought about it mindfully and things really started to change. When you think about an event where wine will be a given, start to think is it just the thought of booze I'm excited about?

You may be nothing like me of course but that's my experience!

• Posted

I notice that as I go along, Odishon. For one, I'm not anesthetizing my brain, which helps tremendously. Also, as it forgets the booze = pleasure connection, I've found other things that are pleasureable to fill in the void. 
    • Posted

No I completely relate to that, it would normally be the wine I'm excited about rather than the event.

Like I will plan my evening totally around drinking wine, not doing other enjoyable things. Mad how your brain works sometimes and even madder rewiring it to think differently!

• Posted

Nice work, BK522 biggrin

You are beginning to gain the control back, instead of the alcohol controlling you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.