Mineres or labyrinthitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Searching for answers I just can't find like others. I believe my husband 29 years old may have meineres. He has a first cousin who's been diagnosed with it but no other family ties. It started in 2015 with a classic attack, fullness in the ear tinnitus hearing completely gone in that ear followed by a vertigo attack that lasted hours w nausea. For about a month after he suffered brain fog and small dizzy spells and fuzzy feelings. Sounds bothered him and it just went away. He went to the er during this time and was of course told he probably had an ear infection given some meds and sent on his way. Skip forward to November 2016 exact same symptoms and same outcome at er. This time they did order a hearing test and he failed mostly in the high tones (which could be explained due to military service and someone firing a gun several time right next to that ear) he also had mild mid tone loss. I can NOT remember if he had any mild low tone loss and for the life of me can't remember what I did with the test paperwork to look. Skip forward to his most recent attack a week ago. It is slightly different. He had no fullness or tinnitus or noticeable hearing loss this time. The attack was sudden while driving. There was an accident ahead and he slammed on breaks going 70 mph. Immediately he felt the vertigo nausea and he said he felt like he was going to loose consciousness several times. He safely pulled over and we picked him up and brought him to the er again. They said there was some fluid on his ear diagnosed labyrinthitis and gave him nausea and motion sickness pills. They also scheduled labs and balance/dizziness testing which we haven't been to yet. That attack lasted several hours and he is still feeling residual intermittent fogginess and dizziness. We went to the ent 3 days ago and after a few quick tests he also suggested labyrinthitis but I could see the look in his eyes (like he was trying to be hopeful). I'm definitely not complaining about the Dr's, they've been great and I know it's hard to get a meniere's diagnosis and they're waiting for testing. I have researched both meniere's and chronic labyrinthitis for days and just can't seem to find answers I need. On one hand the high frequency hearing loss lends itself to labyrinthitis but every other symptom seems more in line w meniere's. Could labyrinthitis really come and go like my husbands symptoms? Looking for some hope he does not have this. Like many of you it already has affected so much. He's being driven around and his motorcycle (which he loves) is parked indefinitely and I'm scared this is only the beginning.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The episodic nature of the symptoms is compatible with Meniere's rather than labyrinthitis.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Could it be anything else? MRI in 2015 (he's scheduled for another) was clear and the head movements to test for BPPV were mostly negative barring slight dizziness at the end when he was sat back up completely.

• Posted

Doesn't sound like menieres to me. Does his vertigo attacks always last hours? How does he feel once the virtigo attack is gone?

• Posted

From what he tells me I guess the worst of it is in the first hour or 2 and it slowly improves then after he describes like a dizzy fuzzy feeling or like a rush to his head feeling that he says is hard to explain the sensation that are brought on by quick movements or sometimes nothing at all. The first time he was like that for weeks this last time he is almost over it and tomorrow is one week
  • Posted

Hi Ashley.  I have had Meniere's Disease in my left ear for 40 years.  I was recently diagnosed with MD in right ear and now have what is referred to as Bilateral MD.  I suggest you have your husband see an ENT that specializes in inner ear diseases.  The classic symptoms are

1. vertigo

2. ear fullness/pressure

3. tinnitus

4 hearing loss in LOW decible range as determined by an audiogram.  Your comments above are not clear if your husband's hearing loss is in the low decible range.  You should try to confirm that.  Without this it's unlikely he has MD.

Since you have been doing a lot of reading about MD you probably know now that there are diet restrictions and meds that are very helpful.  Starting immediately I suggest the following....

1. eliminate salt (no more than 1000 mg/day)

2  eliminate cafinated drinks (drink only decaf)

3. eliminate sugars as best as possible

4. eliminate alcohol totally (no exceptions)

5. If it is MD, doctor will likely prescribe a diuretic (water pill) and a sedative (Ativan, etc)

6.  The balance tests he has scheduled will confirm diagnosis.

Let us know how things go the next few weeks.  Please know that there is good life with MD...it just needs to be managed.

Good luck! 

• Posted

Thank you! He's scheduled for another hearing test along with the balance testing so hopefully they can tell me something. I just need to know and your opinions help me immensely! I've definitely gained a whole new respect for sufferers of this disease. I've also been cutting salt in everything I cook unbeknownst to my husband he just wants this to go away and is having trouble accepting right now that they're may be anything wrong with him so he's not willing to change his habits yet. He's a very stubborn man lol. Hopefully results of testing will bring him around to any changes he may need to make.

• Posted

I can't give you a diagnosis - but I can tell you my story.

Over 30yrs ago I had an attack of labarynthitis - treated with anti bs. Balance went, was out of it for days. Settled nothing for about 20yrs - couple of episodes over the nxt 3/4 yrs of similar symptoms. Same treatment. Then 3yrs ago - noticed hearing loss - but nothing else. Then dizzy, then balance gone, then head fullness (but always associated with viral illnesses) then unable to stand, then vomiting - episodes lasted between 1-14 days. My co ordination goes, I can't do anything - can't coordinate to drink, except out of sports bottle. I've had a couple of falls.

I've had 4 days consistently clear days in the last 6 months. Medication starts to work, but promptly stops - max 6 mths. Had to resign from my job - I'm a nurse! Pls keep reading

The good news : it's not life threatening - but life changing. You have to make the most of the good days and live it to the full. I had a grommet fitted in November ,cwhich seems to help - I take no medication now. I've now restarted work - I have one bad day a fortnight and it just is what it is. I become lightheaded - feel sick, but keep going most days. Ive had x 2 skiing holidays this yr - we had a couple of occasions where we were stuck up a mountain, but it settles and I got down.

I run 5k once a week - spin classes twice a week. I don't smoke / drink. Am not overweight and drink one coffee a day and don't add salt to anything. I'm no angel I do cheat occasionally, but those are the suggestions.

Most people find the weather effects it - but ive not noticed this and flying has no effect on me either. Oh and I also scuba dive with no effect at all.

It's an awful illness to have - but it doesn't kill you. Make changes, to your life and keep going. It's not easy and there I days when Ive begged my husband for euthanasia (twice now) - but I'm glad he ignores me. I hope you don't get the diagnosis, but if you do - it's livable , but make changes and adjust x I wish you and your family well. Jacki x

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. Nurses are amazing selfless people. You're help is much appreciated. love and prayers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.