Mini TURP or TUIP after FLA

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello, 

I had an FLA procedure in February 2017. It worked great for 6-8 months, but has gradually been regressing back towards my pre procedure state, but not nearly that bad. I’m just worried it will continue to get worse, which was always the concern with a new procedure like FLA.  I have been reluctant to post anything, as I didn’t want to jinx myself, and I seem to have good days and bad days, but the bad days are increasing. 

I have been in contact with Dr K, who has followed up with me continually since he was aware things were going downhill. He has been great at following up with me and offering solutions. 

I recently had a second MRI to see what might be going on. I think he said my prostate was reduced by 30% over what it was, but said the areas that were ablated now have a fluid in them, which is causing the blockage. So instead of tissue blocking the urethra, it is now fluid. I’m surprised by this. 

Dr suggested I now have a Mini TURP (TUIP) to cut open the areas of the urethra where the fluid is, and this should dramatically open things up. This is supposedly a much less invasive procedure than traditional TURP, but the thought of this is not exciting, and why I sought out the FLA I. The first place. He has already spoken with my URO about this, and I will see the URO in a weeks time. 

I know the Uro suggested I may need something like a bladder neck incision as well, but I have not heard this first hand.

So I am hoping someone may have gone through this who can chime in with some advice. Dr K thought it might be 3 cuts to open up the urethra, but once they are in there, who knows?

I have looked at videos, and they don’t excite me too much. I’m not prepared for another recovery, unless it is pretty minor. 

I’m hoping to just manage my symptoms for a while, but not so hopeful.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here is an image of it.
  • Posted

How large is/was your gland? I have not heard of this complication before either. I was under the impression that any fluid/blood that remained post ablation would be absorbed. DId your earlier MRIs show evidence of the fluid collection?
    • Posted

I think it was 45 grams before the ablation, and about 30 now.

No my earlier MRI did not show this fluid collection. 

I really thought one of the benefits of FLA was that the urethra was not penetrated. But if by not penetrating it, little “pockets or cavities” are left for fluid to gather, and continue to restrict the urethra, the laser should go right through to open things up.

• Posted

Is it possibly puss? Any pain or anything?
    • Posted

It could be Uncle. I had a DNA test of semen at same time as MRI to see if it might be prostatitis. The first part of the screen didn’t pick up anything, but the second did find low levels of bacteria.  

I am just going on what the Dr told me. That fluid is part of our bodies, and will find its way into cavities over time.

• Posted

Derek

I have no idea why FLA would leave cavities. I would have assumed any space created by the ablation would have created more space for the urethra, and not be filled on by something else (fluid). 

• Posted

It must be rather difficult to create cavities inside the prostate when actually opening a passageway through it. Strange that in all the reports it has not come up before.

When I first heard of lasers for surgery in the early '60s. I wondered if you used two weak beams if where they met you could burn away a tumour at an exact spot!

• Posted

They don’t actually create a passageway through the prostate. They enter the prostate from the rectum, and make cavities around the urethra without ever going through the urethra. At least that is my understanding. So by creating the cavities, you are creating more room and less constriction of the urethra.
  • Posted

I am not an expert, but I have read, that it is possible to drain prostate by squeezing it.

​In one article it was referred as massaging it (through the anus). 

​What might also help is walking, jogging, swimming.

• Posted

Hi, by looking at your images that you posted, it looks like the fluid may be your urine. Looks like a channel from the urethra to our the voids left from the fla procedure. Not sure as I have no experience in reading images but it sure looks that way. Why is the doctor saying the fluid is? Riggs
  • Posted

Hi Motoman,

Bernadette Greenwood helped invent the laser for Fla. She works on studies with Dr. Feller, She is very knowledgeable. If you are interested, message me for her contact information.

• Posted

Thanks Katy,

I looked  Bernadette up and found her email. I sent her an email, will see if she responds. Looks like they specialize in prostate cancer, but maybe they have some advice. 

Thank you for the tip

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.